• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Server is Down Briefly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TC

Senior Seti Addict
Last night I swapped out the switch that my server was on and replaced it with a hub. I had my network card set to 100 full duplex rather than auto sense, and for those that don't know hubs don't do full duplex - so my server has been down since then. I'm switching things back right now.

same here :(

my router keep dying on me for no reason, at least i have no clue!!! it seems everything "locks up", no lights blinking at all. i have to reset it, then it runs fine..... :rolleyes: it happened twice this week, and 'bout every 2~3 weeks to me.

btw, i'm using Linksys wireless AP + router & 4 ports switchs. i always like Linksys stuffs. also have a 5 ports & a 8 ports switch from them.

any idea guys??

i'm going to buy a new router (just router, not AP) first thing 2morrow. and hook it up in between my cable modem and my existing AP. i'm really getting tired of this!! :mad:

heard from my cousin, his Linksys router all hang up on him once awhile too.....?!

i always like Linksys and really wanna stay all my netword parts the same brand. but if it is like that, i'm afraid i have to ask u guys what other brand router recommended?!!

oh, FYI, OfficeDepot has Linksys cable modem for FREE!! sale for $99, $20 instant rebate, and $80 mail-in rebate. end up paying tax only.

p.s. i'm sorry 'bout this for all my setiq users!!!! :eh?:

Linksys nics are okay especially for the price, but their routers are problematic. I have to reset mine fairly often. In fact I have a paper clip sitting next to it - if that gives you an idea :rolleyes: Have you been keeping up with the firmware updates? They've had nearly a dozen since I bought mine. Mine is just the plain old 4 port router. I have a tech works wireless AP and a linksys wireless card in my laptop. Both of those have worked beautifully - absolutely trouble free for nearly 2 years. Your problem doesn't sound like anything specific to me. Have you hard coded all of your nics? Sometimes leaving different brands of nics and associated network equipment on auto sense can create sporadic problems. I saw a problem like this with a small lan hooked up to a cisco router. The system would work fine for a while, and then quit. The router was not showing any alarm codes, but none of the nodes could ping the router. They could ping one another, but not the router. Rebooting the router would fix the problem for a while, but then it would come back. I finally told the admin to hard code the router to 10Mb, and that stopped the problem. Just a thought.

TC said:
The router was not showing any alarm codes, but none of the nodes could ping the router. They could ping one another, but not the router.

yeah, exactly! my wired lan machine could still access my setiq server and grab WUs. but not my wireless rigs/laptop. and none of them could access the outside world. and of course, none of my setiq user could access the server. i've tried to update the firmware but no luck. it just doesn't let my update it or i didn't do it right....

also, all my machines r using either Linksys NIC (when they r on sale for like $5!!), or 3Com 905b. and they r all auto sensing. what u mean by hard code, TC? do u mean i manually set all of them to 100mb? heard sometimes setting them to half duplex would help the stability too? but really don't wanna lose any bandwidth on my network tho.....

so, sounds/seems like a new (or other brand) router won't solve the case....... do i have to use all Linksys NIC or stick w/ one brand?? but man, that sux and how often u'll see a network especially home lan like that....

Hard code means to use the nic driver to set the connection type manually. In windows just look under the advanced settings for the nic in hardware manager. It will have auto sense, along with the other options you can lock the nic into. As far as the router, you might as well get another linksys or try having that one repaired. You'll have to spend big bucks to get a real router like cisco or nortell. If you're having problems updating the firmware it sounds like your router has got some hardware problems. I've seen quite a few linksys switches and routers bite the dust. Some will just lost a port, others will display very strange behavior. Unfortunately this sounds like what you're experiencing.

Well cable doesn't use pppoe, so that's not an issue with your setup. If they bounce your node then it might hiccup. Sometimes that happens with mine, but they rarely change ip's here.

Linksys nics are okay especially for the price, but their routers are problematic.

What router would you recommend though? The only ones I see that are actually cheap are the LinkSys's the other ones are like grands.

Yodums said:

What router would you recommend though? The only ones I see that are actually cheap are the LinkSys's the other ones are like grands.
You're pretty well stuck with Linksys, Dlink, and the other brands for home users. Like I said I use a linksys here.

TC said:
You're pretty well stuck with Linksys, Dlink, and the other brands for home users. Like I said I use a linksys here.

LOL Hard to decide since you have a paper clip ready to push something ;)

Yodums said:

LOL Hard to decide since you have a paper clip ready to push something ;)
Well I do a soft reset and unplug it about once a week. Seems to keep it cleared up.

it used to runs fine on me too. hangs 'bout once every 1-2 month. but then, it's like twice a month last month. and last week, it locked up twice!! means all my outside rigs and other users have no access to the server even tho the server is up and running....:mad:

The trouble seems to come and go like Gary's router. Sometimes it's trouble free for months on end, then like the plague it will require restting several times a month. I don't know if it's the different firmware versions, or maybe a combination of that and something my ISP was doing. I use a motorola cable modem and I monitor the line stats about once a day. I've never been able to nail it down to any one thing. It may be an occasional combination of heavy load and some condition that causes it to jam. These cheapo units have next to nothing for ram you know. The idea that it can handle 253 nodes is laughable.

i'll try to update the firmware to see if it help....:rolleyes:

also, traffic jam "might" explain why. 'cos i do use quite a lot of traffic, but techically, should be a big problem. and the lock up didn't happen on the heaviest load time nor the lightest load time.

Back