• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What type of rdram does Dell use/

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wiggin

Tommorow I'm ordering parts to build my first computer (http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106074). I was planning on using oc'd ddr ram (samsung or corsair), but then my friend told me that he has 512 mb of pc800 rdram on his old dell computer that I can have for free. If I go with that I figure i'll get a TH7-II mobo with a 1.8a p4. I was wondering what brand of ram dell uses, and if it'll be good to oc my system with. Going with the free rdram would save me $200 dollars compared to the ddr I was going to buy, but if it limits my system alot, then it might just be worth buying some ram of my own. Any suggestions?

If his pc is more than two years old then it has to be samsung chips because samsung supplied almost all rambus ram back then. Don't expect to overclock that stuff much though because the initial yields on rambus ram were horrible, as a result some pc manufactures (dell included) even offered pc600, pc700 rambus ram. As fas as overclocking goes you are fine if you use abit th7II and p41.8a, the board has X3 multiplier so you can ran 133fsb while keeping pc800 at bay. Anything above that will depend on your luck. Personally I'd kill for free 512mb pc800 Rambus ram, , it takes DDR pc3200 to match the bandwidth rambus offers. DDR price has been on the rise, and true DDR400 is coming so it's not a good time to buy at this time.

Thanks for the welcome and the quick responses. His computer is about a year old, but he thinks it might be samsung ram anyways. Sounds great, thanks guys. I'll post again when my dream machine is complete and tell you guys what oc I get.

Back