• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would it damage the flow?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadzone

I have a pump and a Rad witn 3/8 fittings, and a WB with 1/2 Fitting would it damage the flow if i use a reduction fittings?

Here is the order:

Pump - Rad - 3/8 to 1/2 - WB - T - 1/2 to 3/8 - Pump

deadzone said:
I have a pump and a Rad witn 3/8 fittings, and a WB with 1/2 Fitting would it damage the flow if i use a reduction fittings?

Here is the order:

Pump - Rad - 3/8 to 1/2 - WB - T - 1/2 to 3/8 - Pump
Anytime you step down in size, you will restrict flow. How much is dependant on many variables.

Hmm, I think if the your pump and radiator were already 3/8 then perhaps a reduction from 1/2 to 3/8 may not be that restrictive since it is simply matching the size of the rest of the system no?

ya if the fittings are already 3/8" on other components the reduction in flow may possibly be less (i havent totally thought that through yet), however there will still be a considerable reduction in flow. as nikhsub said, there are numerous variables though.

Remember that water is a fluid, it's not a 1/2" marble that'll get stuck on your 3/8" fitting. :D

Having 3/8" restrictions doesn't mean your system is doomed to use 3/8" tubing, or have no improvement when fatter tubing is used.

Fatter pipes are always better, regardless (to a certain extent) of some restrictions in the circuit...

Back