• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

alcohol instead of water to cool cpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

f00t

Would using a type of acohol instead of water be abe to cool a cpu better. It does not heat up a quickly and does not freeze as quickly as water. Different heat capacities.

Look here

Heat capacity ethanol 2453 J/kg*°C
Heat capacity water 4216 J/kg*°C

As you can see, water has nearly twice the heat capacity of ethanol(an alcohol).

Oh, and if you do use alcohol, I suggest you don't smoke near your computer:D !

To summarize further: the only reason you'd use alcohol, is if you were using a chiller: you don't want the water to freeze up...

Otherwise, you want to keep using distilled water, and as much as possible, don't add too many/much additives.

Yep. Water's best. But if you must use something in its place, alcohol is second best. Pretty much everything else, with the exception of glycol, really sucks. And glycol's not that great.

I tried 50:50 water:alcohol, and 100% alcohol, I can definenlty tell you without a doubt water is better.

Back