• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memory testing software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

flaming gerbil

I used to use Memtest when I was running 98 but I can't use it anymore since I switched to XP. Is there are good utility (preferably free) in existence that fully tests RAM and works under XP?

sorry dudes! I just saw the memory burn-in sticky. It answered all my questions. Feel free to throw tomatoes at me.

just so you know, memtest86 does work under winxp. the os you use doesn't matter, cause memtest86 creates its own bootable floppy.

SANDRA will test your RAM and is great for monitoring other aspects of the board like temperatures and many, many other great things beyond memory.(THIS IS A GOOD LINK TO THE TRUE AUTHOR)

MEMTURBO is great for scrubbing and defragging RAM, as well as monitoring your CPU usage

Depending on what exactly you want the software to be doing either are are great choices< IMHO

Both ! Free ! Yippee

Hope these help,Rock On:beer:

Last edited:
Medicated said:
just so you know, memtest86 does work under winxp. the os you use doesn't matter, cause memtest86 creates its own bootable floppy.

Med', while I agree that the bootable floppy should work fine once it's created, I cannot get MemTest86 or DocMemory to even CREATE the bootable floppy. :mad:

I'm using WinXP-Pro with all service packs applied.

Suggestions?

omaticrail said:
Med', while I agree that the bootable floppy should work fine once it's created, I cannot get MemTest86 or DocMemory to even CREATE the bootable floppy. :mad:

I'm using WinXP-Pro with all service packs applied.

Suggestions?

you have to be more specific with what problems you are having. i am using winxp pro with sp1 also and it works fine for me. just run the install.bat file, type the letter of the floppy drive, then hit enter and it takes like 15s to create the bootable floppy. then just reboot with that floppy in the drive.

It took some serious searching, but I found the problem and the solution. RAWRITE.EXE is used to create the floppy, and it won't work from WinNT or any of the successors (2000 & XP). There's a version of RAWRITE out there called NTRW.EXE that is specifically for WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP. I wish i had the link to the location where I found it, because many of the links I found were brooken.

omaticrail said:
It took some serious searching, but I found the problem and the solution. RAWRITE.EXE is used to create the floppy, and it won't work from WinNT or any of the successors (2000 & XP). There's a version of RAWRITE out there called NTRW.EXE that is specifically for WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP. I wish i had the link to the location where I found it, because many of the links I found were brooken.

umm, that simply can't be true, because i am using winxp and had no trouble getting the install file for memtest to create a bootable floppy for me. and if you are wondering, i don't have ntrw.exe on my machine, the program used rawrite.exe to create it...

Back