• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus A7V onboard fan problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duxie

Registered
Hi everyone. I got my new mobo a couple of months ago but just recently started having a problem with the onboard fan. At boot it makes a terrible noise that usually remains for several minutes, and seems to be getting longer each time. Eventually it stops making noise and is perfectly quiet again. Has anyone else experienced this problem and does anyone have an idea how to fix it?

It sounds like the fan bearings are possibly going out or perhaps collecting so much dust that it is binding up or out of balance.

Are your temperatures rising? If you have a fan fail and the temperatures rise too high it is possible to flash fry your processor.

I had a fan bind up on my k6-2 which caused a slow unstable system but they are not nearly as much of a heat generator. I replaced that fan.

Duxie, Pull the fan and peel the sticker in the center that identifies the fan. You will see a small hole, squirt some oil (not WD-40) into the hole. Wipe clean and put the sticker back. If it won't stick cut a piece of shipping tape to fit.

Back