• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fan curve for GPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingfish999

my 2080 Windforce fans work fine but i seem to run right at the threshold of the fans turning off and on. every time they kick on, it makes a little chirp and it does it pretty frequently when my computer is idle, sometimes once every few minutes to once ever second. once they are on they dont make noise.

im now using Fan Control to contol my case fans so i can also control the GPU fans also. anyone recommedn a good fan curve for a GPU. either that keeps the fan on always or keeps it off longer?

i been dealing with this chirp for a long time. i for a lnog time thought it was a bird outside, then though maybe it was HDD or a case fan bearing. wasnt untill recently did i notice the GPU fan is constantly turning on and off and chirps every time it turns on. very annoying

Fan Contol doesnt seem to be able to control the GPU fans very well. its very inconsistent unless its at like 40% or higher. not sure if the stock fan curve is interfering but having them anywhere between 8-35% makes them constantly cycle on and off. so i got them set to stay on around 40% untill 60C and ramp up to 100% at 85C

I know the AMD Control Panel (whatever they call it today) has a check box for the Zero Fan Speed Mode. It will keep the fans running all the time instead of stopping them at low load temps. I would assume the nvidia Control Panel would have that option too.

IIRC, NVCP doesn't have any fan control at all. Certainly not adjustments/speed control....I dont recall if there's a zero fan toggle. AFAIK, that's a gpu bios thing(?). But certainly worth a look.

I still say use the correct software and see what it can do about hysteresis or changing the ramp up profile.

Good point, I forgot about that. Shows how long it's been since I had an nvidia card. lol
Definitely worth installing the two other programs & see if they have the Zero Fan Speed Mode toggle. I have used Afterburner a lot, but the GTX970 doesn't have Zero Speed.

I use Precision X1 for my EVGA 2080 Super Black, here is a screen shot on the fan curve control.

fancontrol.jpg

The Gigabyte utility should have about the same thing.

im already using Fan Control for my case fans which iswhy i was going to use it for the GPU. never see an area to change the GPU fan speed on either the Nvidia programs. dont really want to install another program just for GPU fans. i dont really game anymore other than some old games from early 2000s lol. im more about making it quieter. but i obviously dont want to overheat it by running wrong curve. ive made this computer make 1/5th the noise it use to with my HDDs being the limiting factor

you must be up north for that curve. my gpu idles at 40-45* C down here withthe fans at 35% duty.

im already using Fan Control for my case fans which iswhy i was going to use it for the GPU. never see an area to change the GPU fan speed on either the Nvidia programs. dont really want to install another program just for GPU fans. i dont really game anymore other than some old games from early 2000s lol. im more about making it quieter. but i obviously dont want to overheat it by running wrong curve

you must be up north for that curve. my gpu idles at 40-45* C down here withthe fans at 35% duty.
Central TX here :) I also do Folding @ Home so I need the fans at max above 45c.

Well you could try improving the case airflow to that area by tweaking your case fan speeds so that it doesn't kick on it's own fans as much. Otherwise honestly I would suggest using your motherboard software to control case fans if they are plugged into the PWM headers on your board. And of course the GPU software for the GPU fans. I don't believe you have to have these running all the time, just make your adjustments, close them out, and forget about it.

its an older mobo, P9X79, i don think the stock software is avalible or supports Windows 10.

there is only 2 PWM headers and its CPU and CPU_OPT. so i have the case fans on a PWM fan hub. they work great and i have the fans all very low rpm. but there is still alot of airflow

with my case fans running at full power like they have been for years, the GPU fans were still constantly turning on and off. super annoying

im pretty happy with the setup right now. the computer is super quiet. the GPU fans dont make much noise.

i think that to change the GPU fan settings is going to rquire another program on all the time or to flash the firmware.

just tried AI Suite II which is the stock mobo utility. it does work in WIn 10 but its more restrictive than the Fan Control software. AI Suite III does not work

tried MSI Afterburn but just wasnt really a fan of needing a seperate program to control its fan

going to stick with Fan Control and be happy

Back