• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much juice is 2 much?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vedder323

I am pretty familiar with this board and up until this point... I have hit the 200ish wall. My question is simply this. Can you kill a Cpu with to much Voltage before it overheats? I have pushed up to 2.088 and stopped there. In the back of my overclocking sick mind... I wonder, Can I push it harder? When do I need to stop? When will I kill my CPU?

This thread might shed some light on your question....

http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=169722

I ran my 1600+ Pally at 2.08 for around 7 months until I got my 1700+ (I think Pally's can tolerate a little more voltage than T-Breds though). I had it up to 2.2, but chickened out after 2 days and dropped it back down to 2.08 (was only able to get a 1 mhz FSB increase anyway).... Now my 1600+ is in my old KT7E board at stock settings with no problems...

nYmph

Last edited:
well if you read my posts in the thread nymph put up it tells how i break my chips in.

i run 2.2v 24/7 folding.and im not scared of it dieing but its a bugger keeping good enough cooling.at that voltage i like 35c max.
2.1v mabey 40c
2v 45c
of course to much voltage especially to fast without a proper breakin will kill it fast.but if done right with top notch cooling i fear no reaper :D

some safe line guide for max vcore

on air cooling 1.85v ~1.90v

on water cooling 2.00v ~ 2.05v

Like deathstar said... it really depened how good is the cooling for the cpu and also each cpu is different.

Your on water cooling, so if the temps don't get out of hand should not be bad at 2.1v. I have not seen anyone yet kill one from high voltage with good cooling. Killing one is the chance we take with high voltage. I plan on putting my XP2100 AIUHB 0249 on 2v maybe a little higher to see what the chip will do. Right now with my 8K3A+ an 1.9v running 2552mhz with water cooling. Running prime to see how stable it will be there.
http://www.geocities.com/winxp/XP2552.html?1046285654132

Back