• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

pc3200: generic vs brand name

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stevexyz

Registered
hi all, i'd like to have some input from u guys/gals:

i'm thinking of getting some pc3200 ddr memory sticks. yeah, of course the brand name ones like crucial, corsair, etc should be better than the no name generic ones. the brand name ones use good chips on good PCB, n' therefore higher quality. :rolleyes: but i see a huge price differece between them: i can get a 512MB PC3200 for about $70, but if i wana get a corsair, it would cost me more than $140. that's a double in price!:eek:

so what's the deal here? if i only wana run my rams at say 200MHz, then those generic pc3200 should be able to do it, rite? it's rated 200MHz (or 400MHz DDR), rite? so why spending twice of the money for a brand name one? :confused: is that becuz most of the generic ones wont run up to what it's rated for so u have to get a brand name one in order to run at that speed? or getting these brand name ones just for o/c to higher than 200MHz?

thanks for ur opinion:)

steve

hi yanks111, thx for the info. $100 for a stick of generic 512MB pc3200 still kinda expensive comparing to what i found on pricewatch. :(

i might gona try my luck in local computer show. do u know how to read off the info on the memory chip? i know there might be a "-5" printed on the chip indicatting 5ns (200MHz) speed, but how about the CAS? will it be shown on the chip too? like a "2" or "2.5" or something like that?

thx!

oh well, i just found a way to id the memory from this forum, should have done the research b4 asking:D

anyway, my question still remains: is the generic memory really that bad? will they run at the speed up to spec? if usually they do, then i'm gona just go for the cheap generic ones. :cool:

steve

Careful with some of the generic stuff, if you look really hard at some of the vendors fine print, they will specifically state that they do not use true PC3200 chips, they overclock PC2700 and PC3000 chips, not sure but I think AIB is one vendor that does this, and to get true PC3200 chips they charge $20/stick more.

It's your money, but you get what you pay for.

yup, the stuff at hardcorecooling is 4.5ns chips though .... that is basically pc3500 stuff rated at pc3200. Do be careful of unlabled ram and the such though.

many thx to all for ur valuable advices:)

my mind is much clear now. so if i wana buy memory online, i'll go for those brand name ones or buy from shops w/ good reputation of selling good generic memory (like hardcorecooling). or if i'm buying at a local shop or computer show, then i must look at the chip itself:cool:

great! thx again;)

steve

my advice is to always go for good brand mem. her are what I think good brands are: corsair, kingston, crucial, micron, geil, and samsung. I'm personaly not sure about OCSystem, Kingmax, Buffalo, Twinmos, or Delta. Never use Generic or house brand stuff.

is ocz a good brand name? i was thinking of getting a 512 pc3500 cl 2.5 from newegg for a 115$...has anyone used this ram? Any help would be appreciated

after doing some research here in the forum, i found lots of complains about the samsung ddr memory, so i guess i'll stay away from samsung for ddr. (but samsung still has pretty good reputation for sdram n' rambus memory)

for the ocz ram, there r lots of debates, some say they r very good, so say they r crappy. so i guess it depends on ur luck:D

steve

Back