• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Buy Ripoff.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fatguy

Best Buy Ripoff (SOLVED!)

Yesterday I went to Best Buy to purchase a 9700 Pro on sale for $299. When I got home and opened the SEALED box I realized the card inside was NOT a 9700 pro. It wasn't even an ATI card (I don't think). I immediately went back to Best Buy in NYC and demanded a return/exchange. They told me since the package was sealed when I bought it, and the contents were different that they wouldn't accept the return. They told me to contact ATI, which I did. ATI informed me that since I didn't buy from them directly they cannot do an exchange.

Here's the card I actually got in the box:

ripoff.jpg

Did ATI ever make a card based on the SIS 6236 chipset? I'm trying to figure out where the problem occured. As it stand right now I'm out 325 bucks.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
That's horrible... Try going back and saying you didn't notice that it wasn't sealed until you got home and that's what you found inside? It's worth a shot. That really really sucks.

What the hell?! I really don't know what to say to that one... I've never heard of that happening... I do know that it's not difficult to open something up, then re-shrink-wrap it again... maybe a dishonest BB employee is to blame for this??? :confused:

I don't know what you can do besides talk with the BB manager some more. Keep us updated.

I would report that best buy store to the local better business bureau, write the papers and do anything else I could to shame them into accepting your return. I might even consider suing them in small claims court.

Thats a PCI card :mad: Man I would call the BBB or something. I've never had any problem like that returning anything to bestbuy. I feel for you dude thats a load of bull :mad: Someone bought it took out the 9700PRO slaped in there old PCI card reshrink wraped it and took it back to bestbuy. And some dumnassed clerk just took it and put it back on the shelf.

You know, this is really a bad situation because they do have a point... it was sealed, and how do they know you didn't pull the old switcharoo? Man this sucks :mad:

Would it be possible to track the UPC on that thing? Like have BB dig up the record on recent returns, and track it to whoever did this? This would only work of course if someone bought it, rather than an ATi worker or BB employee....

Just an idea, I don't know if it's possible.

get your mom to go there, she'll sort it out :cool:
otherwise go back there shout as loud as you can at the manager and threaten to sue them (you are living in america right ;) ), you'll get your money back.

then buy another 9700 pro, replace it with some crap pci card, return it to them and see how they like it :D

This is worse than a horror movie! I feel really sorry for you fatguy and I really hope that you can get this sorted out with BestBuy. I think like other people said, you should really push this. If you just give up when they say that you can't return something that was shrink wrapped, you could look like you were trying to cheat them rather than the other way around in addition to losing $300+! :eek: :eek:

Just threaten go to to the better business bureau or even sue them if you can so they take you seriously and believe you are honest.

I never believed something like this could happen. What a nightmare! :mad: :mad:

what i would do is go buy 1 of those lil shrink wrap mcahine things and reshrink it. then try that , i mean at this point u have nothin to lose. if that doesn't work , go with knoxville's idea mom's somehow always get it there way.

omg, if i ever spend $350 for a kickass card and get a sis pci one..... i mean, ITS SIS!!! SIS SUX!!! i would really get a heart attack. Go speak with the manager, dont mind about the clerk's BS... if the clerk wont understand the shout all over him :argue: . If that doesnt work try johnny knoxville's idea... and tell mom to try the sue thingy if even that wont work...

good luck fatboy, keep us posted

ATI informed me that since I didn't buy from them directly they cannot do an exchange.

How do you buy directly from ATI?I drive by ATI's HQ all the time in Markam Ont. and you can not pull over and knock at their door and buy a card off them. Its a retail box you say not a oem 9700 so it should be their problem.

man, I would go in there yelling and screaming! that is horrible.....and yet such a good idea at the same time. *ponders*

OMG! :eek:

I'm so sorry to hear your predicament! Let us know how it plays out. I've heard horror stories like this about Fry's but never at Best Buy!

I'm going to start opening packages at the store before leaving from now on!!!

I'd ask to speak with the store manager. Then I'd ask to speak to the regional manager. If he won't sort it out, I'd fax a letter to Best Buy's headquarters. If they refuse to help you, I'd have a lawyer fax them a letter informing them of their impending suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back