• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S and USB2.0 - Please Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Buckett

Registered
Sorry for being a noob, but this is driving me absolutely nuts for no good reason. I did a search and did not find an answer to my satisfaction, so I'm hoping someone can help me.

I can't figure out if the USB2.0 drivers were properly installed. I first installed the Nforce2 drivers that came with my board. I then downloaded SP1. Uninstalled Nforce2 drivers. Then installed newest (2.3 or 2.03, whatever) drivers from Nvidia. I then followed the instructions on mobo CD to select "update drivers" after SP1 installation was complete.

Now here's my problem. When I go into device manager my listing reads "Universal Serial Bus controllers". I expand that and within the list there are six entries:

(1x) - Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
(2x) - Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
(3x) - USB Root Hub

Now, with my former mobo my USB Device Manager settings clearly noted "2.0" somewhere in the description. Sandra would do the same thing. In my current situation I see no "2.0" notations in Device Manager, Sandra, or Belarc Advisor.

One article that I managed to find on this topic said the "Enhanced" description could mean USB2.0.

I feel like an idiot for first off, not knowing, and second, sweating it so bad. I would appreciate any help. If any one has a similar set up please let me know what kind of device descriptions you get for your USB controllers.

Thanx.:bang head

Hi,

I have the same setup as you do, the only difference is that I installed Xp directly with SP1. I also got the exactly same entries.

Now at least you know you're not alone ;) However I can't tell for sure if mine are 2.0 :D

A

After more research this is the best indicator that I could find:

- Search in Windows for the file "usbport.sys"
- Right click any entries and select properties
- Select "Version" tab
- In the "Description" mine reads "USB 1.1 & 2.0 Port Driver"

Like I said this is the best confirmation that I could find. If anyone else knows any better please post. Otherwise I hope that this might help someone else.

I did the following:
1. Installed Win XP Pro
2. Installed NForce2 Drivers :(
3. Installed SP1

Results:
USB doesn't work at all. I don't want to give up yet and re-install the OS. Let's see if we can figure this out!

Well, to my knowledge, USB 2.0 drivers didn't show up officially till XP Service Pack 1 was released. I'm under the assumption that if you don't install the service pack BEFORE you install the Nforce drivers, it won't recognize them correctly.

Install XP
Install Service Pack 1
Install Nforce2 Drivers

Has worked well for me so far. :)

Back