• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unknown USB Device failure blocks my internal keyboard.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yashidza

Hi, I have a problem, begging for help!
My laptop: Gigabyte Aero x15, bought in December 2018 on Amazon. Couple weeks ago I started having a problem, Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) pop up in Device Manager - Universal Serial Bus controllers though all the physical USB ports in my laptop work fine. I dug a lot of information on internet, found "some" solutions but no matter what I try it survives, even it adopts cause some fixes helped for a short period of time but later it pops up again and those fixes don't help anymore. I would leave it and live with the problem if it was not one BUT - it blocks my internal keyboard from working! I have been struggling all these period the problem appeared, bought a bluetooth keyboard to use but its ridiculous and not convenient especially when I use laptop on studies or in public spaces as I need my laptop everyday.
All the drivers, BIOS and Windows 10 updates updated.
Had a conversation with official Gigabyte support representatives and they suggested me to send my laptop (guessing it will take minimum a month) as they think its a mechanical problem with keyboard but I have doubts as what I learned is that it is definitely a bug between my BIOS, chipset and Windows 10 and it is a software issue though I don't deny that it can be a mechanical fail but did not find any relative themes on internet.
Attaching a screenshot of problem.
Please help me as I am desperate...
problem.jpg

:welcome:

I suspect, but am not sure, that your keyboard is using the USB bus. I assume that you have uninstalled that failed device and let the machine reinstall it.

The next thing that I would try is a BIOS update.
Next would be to download and reinstall all chipset and USB drivers for your machine.
Next would be a repair install of the OS.

If none of that works, I would consider a fresh install of the OS.

If it still is having trouble, see if it is under warrenty and/or contact customer service to see if they can help you. I would suspect a failed chipset at that point.

Edit: If none of that helps, as a very last resort, I would replace the keyboard. Cost is usually around $20 USD and an hour or two of labor.

:welcome:

I suspect, but am not sure, that your keyboard is using the USB bus. I assume that you have uninstalled that failed device and let the machine reinstall it.

The next thing that I would try is a BIOS update.
Next would be to download and reinstall all chipset and USB drivers for your machine.
Next would be a repair install of the OS.

If none of that works, I would consider a fresh install of the OS.

If it still is having trouble, see if it is under warrenty and/or contact customer service to see if they can help you. I would suspect a failed chipset at that point.

Edit: If none of that helps, as a very last resort, I would replace the keyboard. Cost is usually around $20 USD and an hour or two of labor.

Thanks for reply. I have tried everything so far I had found concerning software and I agree with you that it is a kind of glitch of my mobo. I have warranty trying to contact and gonna send. What about keyboard replacement if there is still problem and I will replace it will it be the same? Did not get what you meant...
When the icon is grey and the error is not trying to connect (Device Manager is not flashing) keyboard works for some time until I plug in any USB or in a couple hours it begins to pops up.
greyIss.jpg

You are still within your default 1yr warranty. I'd either change the OS, or in your case, you should just return it to amazon and get one that works. But first I'd check all the reviews and make sure there are no dumb problems like this one. Just tell them you want your money back and see just how honest they really are. I spent $3g's on my tablet specifically so that I would not have dumb problems a year later, or ever. Mine is rock solid so far even though the swappable battery is short lived. That's my only complaint which is fine by me. At least I can buy more batteries if I need to.
If there is no simple permanent fix, return the whole thing and get a different one altogether. In the time since you bought it prices have come down and newer models are in.
The difference between waiting a month, hoping it gets fixed and returned in one piece, and simply returning it altogether for a new one is negligible. Good luck.

Last edited:
Yeah. So if you replace the keyboard with a direct replacement and you still have the problem, the mainboard has a defect.

You say that it is still under warranty so follow up with that. You would *not* replace the keyboard as long as the unit is under warranty. If you follow the steps in my original post, you would know for sure if the problem is hardware or software. Updating the BIOS, drivers and OS are all free and do not void the warranty.

Back