• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mini ITX? What would you recommend

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deadzone

I would like to have another pc but in mini-itx format. They are good for moving around and build it like a router or server. I've seen some shuttle a via barbones and board alone.

Can anyone with more experience in this matter guide to the best options?

Thanks

I current have two Mini-ITX based M9000 systems and I am a great fan of these, however be under no doubt that these are not powerfull in any sence of the word.. The 933 mhz Via C3 which powers the M9000 generally benchmarks out about as well as a Intel Celeron 600.
If you are just going to be using it as a small office machine, media centre, or a firewall then the ITX format is oustanding, however a lot of people consider these for LAN party boxes or a general PC and in my experience they have a lot of problems it being used for this. The mini-itx format is a low heat, low power system and fitting such things as certain Geforce PCI graphic cards (no AGP) can put large demands on the tiny PSU and produce low voltages for the mobo.
If you require power look towards the SFF (small form factor) mobo's such as the Flex-ATX or Micro-ATX

What are you going to use the system for ??

Well ill be using it for mp3 based, firewall, router (mikrotik.com )
nothing that powerfull, maybe some office work.

What case would you recommend for the via epia?

Exactly that. The epia is brilliant for that. As long as you don't need large processing power, or any FPU intensive work(games). Its brilliant. Smaller than most small form boards. Hardly uses any power (~20-30w's) and is silent(well even more so if you mod the fan).

deadzone said:
What case would you recommend for the via epia?

I personally use the Cubid 2688R you have to modify them slightly if you are using them for the Epia M.. but they are the most thin of all the ITX cases.. and they have mounts to stand them up like a bookcase... Seriously nice cases.
You need to run laptop CD / CDRW / DVD and Floppy drives in them though

Back