• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4PE, Really need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CPanther2003

Registered
I have really about had it. I'm almost ready to say goodbye to Asus once and for all. For some reason, my system will completely shut down for no reason and reboot. It did it last week when I was surfing the internet, it did it this week while I was working on new computer artwork in Paint Shop Pro and it just did it when I tried to do the memory/cache benchmark in Sandra 2003.

My system:

P4PE with bios 1003 final
512 Corsair XMS pc2700C2PT
P4 2.4B C1 Processor
cooled with a Thermaltake Spark 7
Antnec True 431 or 430 whatever it is
it is an Antec True PS
80 Gig Maxtor main drive
40 Gig maxtor 2d drive
Philips 40x12 burner
Sony 16X DVd 48X CD-Rom drive
SB Audigy sound card/ Soundmax disabled

I just don't get it. I've went through 2 P4PE'S ( one wouldn't even boot), and I thought everythign was finally ok with this one.
I didn't have this shutdown problem till I switched from Dane Elec 512 DDR PC2700 to Corsair XMS DDR PC2700 ( more expensive, supposed to be better). I didn't have the memory overclocked, but I did have it in memory turbo mode in the bios. The CPU is not overclocked. From what I understand, memory turbo is a performance enhancer but nothing as extreme as OC's you memory right? It shouldn't cause shutdown's should it?

Does anyone know what I should check on this system before I give up?? How do i know if the memory is running ok? I tried to check it out in Sandra but I'm new at that program and it looks like it was performing to specs.

I want to check everything possible before I decide to give up and RMA this board to Newegg. I have less than 2 weeks on this MB before I can't return it to them. If I need to send it back I'll go with the Gigabyte GA-PE800 Ultra this time. As far as the P4C800 goes, if Asus can't get this board right, why do i want to trust them again? I'll wait a few months and buy a Canterwood from another mfg.

I've noticed something else, on some reboots there will be no beep at all. That 1 good beep is supposed to be a memory test, right? I don't have Soundmax enabled becasue it stinks compaired
to my Audigy sound card.

Any suggestions?

First of all, I trully feel your pain. We've all experienced it at one time or another on more then a few occasions. Interesting you should mention the turbo mode for your memory, because from all the things I've heard and experienced myself, it can cause instability in your system. You mentioned that you weren't having any probs with your other memory. If that's the case you may have a bad stick of Corsair. I was wondering what your temps are reading?

Temps have been normal, 35C idle never going far over 40C at full load so far.

Since I posted the original message, I found another message at this board about the memory I have:

Corsair PC2700C2PT

Looks like there has been problems. I do believe Corsair makes a good overall product, so I've ordered a 512 stick of XMS PC2700LL low lacency. It was recommended at Corsair's message board.

I thought about ordering DDR 400 instead, but this board was made for DDR 333 so I'm sticking with it for now.

I ordered my Corsair 3500 a couple of months back, and it also was bad. It wouldn't even do 3200 speeds. I rma'd it back to Corsair and they sent me another stick that's working perfectly. I've heard recently of several complaints with bad sticks. It happens to the best of them.

In regard to the 3200, that should all depend upon if your going to overclock or not. If your 2.4b C1 is working well, you may want to consider the 3500. I'd put your other stick back in and see what that 2.4b can do. Since your other memory is not high performance just set it to 1/1.

Have you tested system stability with the Memory Turbo setting DISABLED? I ran into a lot of problems with mine until I turned that off. Now everything is smooth and problem free....and that's running my 2.53Ghz @ 2850Mhz

Also, did you install the latest chipset INF drivers from Intel? That might have something to do with it. Here's the link...

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/Product_Filter.asp?ProductID=816

Hope this helps

I did all of that. The old corsair memory crashed during memory bandwith tests in Sandra 2003. My new Corsair XMS PC2700LL with the Platinum Heat Spreaders is working perfectly. I turned off the Memory turbo setting and really don't plan on using it again.

Everything that I thought was wrong with this board has eitehr been realted to bad memory or a bad component. The board is stable and is doing great. I've got a good one.

Back