• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's worse on hardware, PCI freq of 30mhz or 36.7mhz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vulcan5d

Registered
I can overclock my FSB to 147 or 150. 147mhz would have a PCI frequency of 36.5mhz, but 150 would be 30mhz. Would a higher or lower PCI frequency be harder on the hardware?

If you can OC to 166, that should put your PCI in spec. I'd try to push it as far past 150 as you can. Either one is only 10% out of spec and should work just as well.

underclocking you pci is a bad thing... and the difference between 147mhz fsb @ 37mhz PCI and 150mhz fsb @ 30mhz PCI is going to be rather significantly in favor of the former...The 150mhz fsb will have a slightly faster memory bandwidth advantage but the 30mhz pci will slow everything down, its like taking a step foreward and 3 steps backwards... Does your board allow you to force the devisor? Because if it does go for the /4 devisor (as apposed to /5) 150mhz fsb and 37mhz pci (rounded up from 36.75mhz...) that way its win-win you up the mem bandwidth as well as the pci/agb bandwidth...

It is better to keep you PCI bus higher, but not higher than 38. At 38 and above, you can start to get Hd corruptions and such, and it really isn't worth it.

If I remember correctly, the PCI bus is specced at up to 33MHZ, meaning that lesser speeds are still in spec. On the other hand, I don't think most manufacures design their devices with that in mind.

Back