• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit IT7-MAX2 V2.0 2.4 to 3.6? True or False

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bin610

Registered
I am currently looking into a new system using a P4 2.4 cpu. I have heard things about the Abit IT7-MAX2 V2.0 motherboard whether they are true or not I am not sure. For instance, I once saw a post that said you could OC a P4 2.4 533 to 3.6 STABLY without using water cooling or much air cooling at all. If someone could enlighten me as to if I was falsely mislead or if this is true I would appreciate it. If it cannot go to 3.6 stock I was wondering if someone could tell what it CAN do. Also, if someone has a better suggestion as to what motherboard I should use instead of the IT7-MAX2 V2.0 that would be cool too. Thanks.

Ehm, I think u gotta be pretty lucky to get there at all.. I've had 3 2.4b's so far, and neither one of them had the ability to got beyond 3.3ghz even with watercooling and 1.85vcore..

The ones I had, was 2x SL6EF and a SL6RZ..

thanks for the reply omega. I will consider your input. I need more than one opinion though. What does anyone else think?

clearly i must be off my rocker to think that any motherboard could do such a thing as what i had suggested. Does anyone else think that there is a safer and/or better motherboard for OCing and P4 2.4?

Well the IT7 Max 2 V. 2 is generally accepted as a pretty decent motherboard for overclocking, but as to your question...reaching a super high overclock doesn't depend as much on the motherboard you use as it does on you processor; it's the processor that you'd be pushing to 3.6 GHz, not the motherboard. Some motherboards will allow you to overclock higher, with the same chip, than others, but in general, your overclock depends on your CPU (provided you have high quality RAM and a motherboard that has good overclocking features (which the IT7 Max 2 V 2 does). ).

Hope that helps.

yes i understand what you are saying but then again i guess it all matters what the bus speed is as well....400..533...800. i know that the BH7 supports 800 but does the it7? also which bus speed would you recommend getting in terms of how well it OCs provided it has HT technology like the 854pe chipset.

Alright, you may already know this, but I just want to outline something first...

The bus speed on Pentium 4 motherboards is quad pumped, so if you have a Pentium 4(A) processor, which runs at a FSB speed of 100 MHz, then the motherboard's bus will be 400 MHz. The Pentium 4(B) chips run at a FSB speed of 133 MHz, so motherboards running these chips operate with a bus speed of 533 MHz. The new Pentium 4 processors that just came out operate at a FSB of 200 MHz, so the motherboards running these processors operate with a bus speed of 800 MHz.

Remember that these speeds are all at default, non-overclocked speeds. So lets say you have a Pentium 4 B chip, but you decide to overclock it. Since the only way to overclock Pentium 4s is to increase the FSB, you'd increase the FSB, up from 133 MHz to...let's say 150 MHz. Since the FSB is quad pumped on P4 motherboards, your motherboard be operating at a bus speed of 600 MHz (4 x 150 MHz). Now if you were really, really lucky and got your hands on an insanely amazing overclockable P4, and bumped the FSB up to 200 MHz, you'd be running at a bus speed of 800 MHz - just like the new Pentium 4 processors do.

With the Abit BH7, you have the option to run the FSB @ 200 MHz (thus an 800 MHz bus), and probably even higher - I don't know how high you can set it for sure. I have an Abit IT7 Max 2 Version 2, and with this board, you have the option to run the FSB anywheres from 100 MHz to 250 MHz (bus speeds from 400 MHz, all the way up to 1000 MHz). So yes the IT7 supports the 800 MHz bus.

However, if you read this article, it says that the BH7 is compatable with the new 800 MHz Pentium 4 chips, but shows that all the other i845pe motherboards tested were not able to use the new Pentium 4 chips. They didn't try to run one of the new chips on an IT7 motherboard, but chances are that it is unable to use the new 800 MHz P4 chips.

The new motherboards that use the i875 chipset (Canterwood motherboards) are designed for use with the 800 Mhz P4 chips, as well as the 533 and 400 MHz chips (they're backward compatible with other Northwood chips). Also, the new 800 MHz Pentium 4 processors all have Hyperthreading technology, whereas the only other Pentium 4 chip that has Hyperthreading is the 3.06 GHz Pentium 4 B chip.

In terms of overclockability, the 400 and 533 MHz bus Pentium 4 chips have both been fairly good. That's really an overgeneralization because there are different makes (S Specs) and steppings (like B1 and C1 steppings - (the C1s are generally better overclockers)) of each processor, so it's really hard to tell, overall, which type of P4 overclocks better.

If you want to go with a chip that has HT technology, then you either have to get the 3.06 GHz P4 (@ 533 bus), or grab one of the new 800 MHz bus P4 chips, along with a new motherboard that will support the chip.

In terms of overclocking the new 800 P4s, it's still still too early to tell how well they will overclock, and it's hard to say when all of the bugs will be worked out of the Canterwood motherboards (you've got to see this). So it's not advisable to purchase a Canterwood-based motherboard and an 800 MHz chip just yet, but at the same time, I would't recommend you buy a 400 or 533 P4 either, since they're becomming more and more outdated every day now (not really, but they're not the newest anymore). I'd say wait a while, if you can, for a Canterwood board to come out that gets good reviews, and then make your decision.

...whew... hope that helps.

wow thanks for all that information tio. as you can tell im fairly new to this whole overclocking concept. I sort of realized that getting the 2.4b was a little outdated even tho its still really good as you said. However, the 2.4c looks to be very promising which I also have considered getting. The only problem is that there is a very limited amount of boards out now that support the 875 canterwood. but in that article from overclockers.com that you showed me I am a bit confused. is it talking about the abit ic7 or the ic7-g or just the ic7 series in general? i was wondering if you somehow knew which one it was. I ask because I have found the ic7-g for around 220 dollars which I would think be worth it.

Glad I could help. :)

Alright, I just checked it out (at the Asus boards), and it seems as though the article was refering to the IC7 series in general. This guy on the asusboards bought the IC7-G and was having problems with memory timings, and there are others who have reported the same issue with the IC7. Now, the new BIOS that Abit released (the one that fixed the memory problems but created another problem that has to do with SATA RAID working incorrectly) was released fairly quickly, so I wouldn't be surprised if Abit releases another BIOS soon that fixes both problems altogether, but nothing is for certain. I think that if I absolutely had to pick up a Canterwood motherboard right now, I'd go for that IC7-G, as it seems to have the fewest problems at the moment.

BTW, some of the 2.4 GHz pentium 4 chips have turned out to be some of the most overclockable chips out there. As for the B's and C's... I'll try to clarify it for you a bit (it's really confusing if your new to this stuff - I remember when I was starting out, it was a nightmare!). I might have misinterpreted you, but I think you are a little confused... I'll try to help you out here...

So as I mentioned, there are now 3 kinds of Northwood P4 processors available (there was originally another type, called Willamette, that was introduced as the original Pentium 4 chip design, but it was largely a dissapointment in terms of performance, so don't worry about picking one of these up :D). So as it stands, there are the 400, 533, and the new 800 MHz Pentium 4 processors. The 400 MHz bus P4 chips run at a FSB speed of 100 MHz, thus motherboards running them (at their default speed) have a 400 MHz bus. That's why they're called 400 MHz Pentium 4s, but, after the 533 MHz Pentium 4s came out, Intel needed an easy way to denote the difference between the 400 MHz bus chips and the 533 MHz bus chips (ie: there is a 400 MHz bus Pentium 4 that runs at 2.4 GHz, as well as a 533 Mhz bus 2.4 GHz Pentium 4), so they introduced the letters A and B to go along with the chips' names. The 400 Pentium 4s are called Pentium 4 "A " processors, and the 533 Pentium 4s are called Pentium 4 "B" processors. I'm not certain but I think I read somewhere that the new 800 Pentium 4s are supposed to be called Pentium 4 "C" processors in the near future, but I'm not absolutely certain about that.

On top of that, each processor has a few different numbers associated with it. Among those numbers, there is one that indicates what "stepping" the processor is, called the "SSPEC". If you go here, you can find out what stepping a certain P4 is. The C1 stepping is generally accepted as the best stepping for overclocking.

Hope that helps.

yes thank you tio for the clarification about the IC7 review. Unless something else strikes me as a better deal I believe that I will get the new 2.4c with the IC7-6 mobo. The memory problems with it seem to be very minute and not very noticeable at all. I think I am also gonna go with 2 sticks of 256 corsair xms pc3500 or 3200 for dual channelling. Thanks for all the input. If you can help me out in the future that would be great too. Peace.

Bin610 said:
If you can help me out in the future that would be great too. Peace.

Absolutely. If you need anything, just ask. :)

Good luck with your purchases!

Back