• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System so far...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Amino

Ok, so I'm getting stuff together to make a pretty decent gaming machine, that'll run 210 FSB, at least.

Here's what's going into it so far.

Abit NF7-S v2.0
1700+ TBred-B (although there are alot of choices, I don't know which to get)
1 Gig of OCZ PC-3200 EL (2x512)

That's all I have so far. I'll probably put in a 9800 Pro too. What else does anyone reccomend? Or should I change anything? HDD? PSU? Any and all comments are welcome.

Get the 10k RPM WD Raptor ATA133 drive. It's the faster platter spinner on the market...and I wanna see what they will do. :p

Well, I haven't dealt with AMD in a while...

As for the Raptor, that thing is a 36 Gigger. I think that 7200 RPMs is gonna be the max I'm gonna wanna go b/c of the size limitations. Size does matter to me. :D

Amino said:
Well, I haven't dealt with AMD in a while...

As for the Raptor, that thing is a 36 Gigger. I think that 7200 RPMs is gonna be the max I'm gonna wanna go b/c of the size limitations. Size does matter to me. :D

If you want more capacity, then run two of the Raptors in Raid-0. They should blaze, i really don't think you will need more than 72gig for a Gaming system.

Hammer

Amino said:
Ok, so I'm getting stuff together to make a pretty decent gaming machine, that'll run 210 FSB, at least.

Here's what's going into it so far.

Abit NF7-S v2.0
1700+ TBred-B (although there are alot of choices, I don't know which to get)
1 Gig of OCZ PC-3200 EL (2x512)

That's all I have so far. I'll probably put in a 9800 Pro too. What else does anyone reccomend? Or should I change anything? HDD? PSU? Any and all comments are welcome.

I am of the firmest belief that you should get the best PSU that you are willing to pay for. A high quality high rated PSU can go a long way toward the stability of a high powered gaming system. Just look at the big name gaming PC builders. They never skimp on Power Supply.

Hammer

Good call on the PSU Hammer.

But honestly, the Raptors are just not worth the money. Not to me anyway. For less than 2 raptors, I could get 2 Maxtor ATA133 8MB Buffer HDDs with 120 Gigs each... The space is more of an issue to me than the speed when it comes to HDDs. I like to know I have loads of room left on my computer after I've loaded absoluely everything I own onto the hard drive.

Right now I'm running my computer with 90%+ free space... LOL

Amino said:
Good call on the PSU Hammer.

But honestly, the Raptors are just not worth the money. Not to me anyway. For less than 2 raptors, I could get 2 Maxtor ATA133 8MB Buffer HDDs with 120 Gigs each... The space is more of an issue to me than the speed when it comes to HDDs. I like to know I have loads of room left on my computer after I've loaded absoluely everything I own onto the hard drive.

Right now I'm running my computer with 90%+ free space... LOL

I'm confused...you have 90% free space and you are worried about not having enough capacity?

Hammer

No, I'm not "worried" per say, I just like to know that I have that much free space. In case I decide to download a whole bunch of movies, MP3s, or what not... That way I will never have to actually "worry" about space.

Other HD I would suggest is the WD800JB or the WD1200JB. These are the special edition WD drives that offer the 8MB cache, and they are very reliable.

For your PSU, I would suggest like a 500w Antec. They seem to run the best on spec with the rails, and they too are very reliable.

For your 1700, you should probably order it soon. They stopped making the 1700 line and all that are left of the miracle chips are what is left on the shelves. I would look for a 1700 DLT3C JIUHB0310XPMW or a JIUHB0307. These two seem to be doing the best at the moment.

Come back with all the stuff you are gonna buy, I am already envious of that 9800 Pro.

having 90% free space is pointless.

How about having 30% free space and having raptors, which are blazingly fast :p

because if I want to start downloading mp3s like mad or something along those lines, I can do it. In addition, I can also fit more games on to it.

Fact of the matter is, it just makes me feel good when I have space.

72GB isn't nearly enough...you need at least half a terabyte for a gaming rig! *mumbles something about his 120GB Maxtor drive being too ****ing small*

personally I would go with faster ram and less of it :D (2x256) the kingston hyperx3500..... "supposedly"...it's harder to attain higher fsb's with the more ram you hae so it is said that 512 is the sweet spot..but if you need one gig then go for that ram :D just don't be to surprised when 210 is not attained....good luck:D

Back