• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG Serious problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikeonatrike

I finaly found a floppy and got my drive working to flash to 1004. I do and it gives me checksum error, and is rly flaky once i get past that. Im like ok....Then i get the new uber bios for my rev and flash to that and now when it posts it says
bios rom checksum error
Detecting floppy drive A media......

And then nothing, nothing at all, i cant flash again, i cant get into the bios, i cant do anything!!!!! i have tried reseting twice now and nothing....Pls help....

On a side note and rly dont mater now i mighta mistyped and did not put the U in at the end of the bios name...so it mighta just reflashed the 1004 bios

There may be a chance you can recover from this problem.

I too had a bad flash and could not get into the bios or get a boot. I thought there was no way out but to buy another bios chip.

But, I found out some info that saved my board.

Create a dos boot disk. The boot-block BIOS will execute an AUTOEXEC.BAT file on a bootable diskette. Copy an Award flasher & the correct BIOS *.bin file on the floppy and execute it automatically by putting AWDFLASH *.bin /sn /py /cc /r in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file. The * would be the correct bios .bin file and there must be spaces between the slash marks. Put it in the floppy and turn on the computer when the floppy seeks it will load the correct bios and reboot by itself. When it finishes you have to remove the floppy and enter the CMOS SETUP and modify the CMOS for your configuration.

If your computer does a floppy seek it will automatically boot from the diskette and run the Autoexec.bat file. This will then run the flash utility.

If the floppy will not boot, then remove your video card and try it again (I had to do this part) Asus has an autoboot routine that will execute automatically if it does not detect a video card. When it it finished the computer will beep like mad. Then you can shut it off and replace the vid card and if the flash worked out ok you should be able to enter your cmos setup.

It doesnt work in all cases, but it saved my board:)

Make sure the bios you flash is the proper bios for your revision board.

Good Luck:)

Al

Well it dont seem to have worked...never detected floppy, just does the same screen errrrr...

But oh well, maybe i can return the board an get a rev 2 now :D ill get delux version to!

And if not ill just pop a new bios chip in, they cant be more then 10 bucks

Mikeonatrike said:
Well it dont seem to have worked...never detected floppy, just does the same screen errrrr...

But oh well, maybe i can return the board an get a rev 2 now :D ill get delux version to!

And if not ill just pop a new bios chip in, they cant be more then 10 bucks

You also tried to boot from floppy with no video card installed?

Guess your board is really dead, was worth a shot though.

Sorry:(

Al

Bios chips are available on ebay all the time, well at least for my Soyo it was, either way though, the guy has EXTREMELY fast shipping! :)

I had a sim prob with mine. On that board, are U removimg the battery the moving the reset jumper from 1-2 to 2-3 for about 20 seconds then back to 1-2 (double check that!) then replace the battery and plug back in and viola! it should reset the bios back to default settings. If you already have done this, good luck with ......

best to ya

Tweaker

asus A7N8X dlx
2500+AMD barton 1833 oc'd to 2400mhz
200X12.0
400w antec p/s
9500pro @ 340/650
Audigy2 w/live drive, 60G hd, 52/24/52 cdrw
watercooled w/ 226w peltier w/ meanwell P/Supply to go on this week and blah blah blah other crap

Well, it serves me rite for buying local. First off i get a seriously old revision....1.04. Now the guy is gonna charge me 20 bucks to look at it....and i know there nothing that can be done short of replacing the bios chip. Oh hey, can flashing the bios void ur waranty?

A little update on the situation, i took it to another computer store. LoL them people are so funny!!!

First off one of the guys tells me i have to many fans. And yes they dont do much cuz i have not taken the stupid metal out yet, but ok. Anyways the guy proceeds to check my comp out first. Moves my ram around and then fires it up. Mind u it took him 2 mins to conclude the same thing it took me 5...but oh well.

Anyways they said they can fix it for 60 bucks! No thank u, ill just order a new bios chip for 20 or so. But the one guy said somethin about the Bootblock somethinor other...anyone know about this?
Or another way to fix my bios?

AHHHHHHH, thats what it is? and i tried it exactly like u said to.....oh well, i found some peeps on ebay that do bios for like 25 shipped. no biggie

Can a bios completly fry a motherboard?...i have another board with the same bios chip in it, but its a totaly different make and model board. Can i use it to hot swap and flash my asus boards bios? Wuti mean is, by takin out my other boards chip and puting my asus boards bios, is there any chance something will get messed up? id proly take the hdds out...

Back