• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Damaged Pins in socket, motherboard doesn't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rakunarr

Registered
put a brand new motherboard in.. booted up on my test bench no issues, even on a old bios.. moved it to my desk and will not boot any more. unplugged everything nothing, put back on the test bench and nothing. now.. gives me random errors. from cmos error, detect hdd and post error, i flashed to the newest bios thru the flash back button still nothing..
Did you ever figure this out? I’m having very similar issues and think it’s a problem with the cpu socket connection. Very similar errors and no boot after taking off then stock hinge bracket and replacing with the thermalright support bracket. I think the socket pins were bumped and a few were very slightly off axis which I extremely carefully straightened (barely moved them) and even though they all appear straight now I still am getting no boot. I actually think that somehow the pins got pulled a bit when I pulled the cpu out. ******* annoying that my 1000 dollar motherboard was this fragile and is now kaput,

Did you ever figure this out? I’m having very similar issues and think it’s a problem with the cpu socket connection. Very similar errors and no boot after taking off then stock hinge bracket and replacing with the thermalright support bracket. I think the socket pins were bumped and a few were very slightly off axis which I extremely carefully straightened (barely moved them) and even though they all appear straight now I still am getting no boot. I actually think that somehow the pins got pulled a bit when I pulled the cpu out. ******* annoying that my 1000 dollar motherboard was this fragile and is now kaput,
I mean, sadly, you broke the socket by bumping/bending the pins. That sucks, but it's self inflicted. :(

Also, the pins in a $150 motherboard are just as fragile as they both sport the same socket. I dont see hiw it's possible a pin gets pulled but he cpu though.

If you want to troubleshoot, start your own thread and take a good pic of the socket pins so we can see it.

I mean, sadly, you broke the socket by bumping/bending the pins. That sucks, but it's self inflicted. :(

Also, the pins in a $150 motherboard are just as fragile as they both sport the same socket. I dont see hiw it's possible a pin gets pulled but he cpu though.

If you want to troubleshoot, start your own thread and take a good pic of the socket pins so we can see it.
FDE17865-8F37-4E05-9257-A54E547057CA.jpeg

Attachments

• F66B0127-6F77-4A92-86F9-3FEEA0ABD097.jpeg
    F66B0127-6F77-4A92-86F9-3FEEA0ABD097.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • B764AF3F-2B94-4544-807F-D1356B730F16.jpeg
    B764AF3F-2B94-4544-807F-D1356B730F16.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 5
  • 7AE7708F-BB91-4D06-939E-07CDB30D37AD.jpeg
    7AE7708F-BB91-4D06-939E-07CDB30D37AD.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 76043F32-A243-4AB7-8CCC-BA50B4F74BD4.jpeg
    76043F32-A243-4AB7-8CCC-BA50B4F74BD4.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • D2ACD699-C75E-44A4-9F58-649C92BC3440.jpeg
    D2ACD699-C75E-44A4-9F58-649C92BC3440.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
I created a thread for you. Your issue has nothing to do with the thread you posted in. :)

Thanks for the pics... is that the current state, these images?

EDIT: I think it looks like a before and after @Rakunarr.. if so, looks OK to me? Maybe another user can see something?

Post magically merged:

The hinge system for this socket is dog **** tier. Im certain that more and more issues will start surfacing from other users as people change coolers or put on a new bracket. Compared to older CPU’s pins the fragility of lga1700 is a joke. I do not think this was a case of negligence or that I broke anything,
It's the same thing as LGA1200, bud. Same fragile socket... same style (LGA) that Zen 4 now has. That hinge has been the same for generations as well...the hinge system cannot bend pins.

Last edited:
Pulling the top hinge out probably did it. I think I held onto the hinge and unscrewed the top two screws in the bracket then when I lifted it away the base portion swung slightly and grazed a few pins. Certainly nothing that should have caused serious damage but here we are. I’m going to see if I can RMA it and talk to ASUS. It was only during troubleshooting that I actually saw the few pins were slightly bent. I had no idea that I had potentially damaged anything before getting everything installed with the new bracket.

Certainly nothing that should have caused serious damage but here we are.
That's exactly how you cause (generally serious) damage friend. I'm really sorry that happened.

I’m going to see if I can RMA it and talk to ASUS.
They don't take RMA's for damaged pins. That's considered physical damage. And if it worked before, but not after.... it was done on the user side. :(

That's exactly how you cause (generally serious) damage friend. I'm really sorry that happened.

They don't take RMA's for damaged pins. That's considered physical damage. And if it worked before, but not after.... it was done on the user side. :(
Maybe they can fix it for cheaper than $1000. Or maybe they’ll do me a sold, They can do their own testing and possibly reveal socket damage otherwise I’m going to exercise my right to remain silent if you know what I mean.

Well, at least by looking at them, you can't really see anything obvious. You have that going for you. Man, that sucks... I mean the stock thing works, but to have to put another device on it for 'best' results is pretty annoying.

Keep us posted.

Yeah once you physically damage the motherboard (wether intentionally or by accident), any motherboard manufacturer will deny any RMA. Some manufacturer will repair the socket pins for a fee. Most of the time is quite expensive.

Your best bet is to just replace the motherboard with a new one and be done. Good luck!

Well, at least by looking at them, you can't really see anything obvious. You have that going for you. Man, that sucks... I mean the stock thing works, but to have to put another device on it for 'best' results is pretty annoying.

Keep us posted.
Yeah something similar to the thermalright or thermal grizzly solution should be stock. It’s much easier to install and feels way safer (paste can’t spill over the side), easily identifiable end point for screw tightening, flat surface , etc

Will let you know what happens I’ll pull the motherboard out this weekend and try booting outside the case before initiating rma process.

Thanks for offering me some compassion. Lol

I’m debating about trying to get in there with a magnifying glass and some forceps To see if I can gently pull the affected pins superiorly. I have a hunch that the x and z axis have been corrected but not the y axis. And it may not be making contact with bottom of cpu. What do you guys think?

I can’t really without taking the motherboard apart unfortunately.
Right. Once in the socket and clamped, it sits down another mm (maybe less). So if it's off enough to cause issues, you should be able to see the difference.

Got it working lol. Decided to give it one last hoorah,

Now I have to cancel the gigabyte aurus master board I ordered on sale.

I’m baffled right now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 6
I’m starting to think this pin situation is a Red Herring. Or maybe not. Maybe it’s uneven or wrong amount of mounting pressure. Or maybe the board is just faulty and is toying with me.

Back