• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dry ice pit project

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

extremly cool

Registered
I was wondering if iI took a igloo cooler and filled it with dry ice the took a radiator that is in need of cooling
would that work and for how long would it stay cold

you can insulate it but it still will go away because of the heat from the radiator. People have used dry ice for just trying to see how far they can overclock their chip, but thats just a couple hour experiment, not a long lasting solution.

10 pounds of dry ice in a totally closed insolated cooler will last approx. 48 hours. Now this is without being exposed to the air and as time goes on it will slowly fade into gas even if there is no radiator in. Simply becuase the air is still "melting" it

xX~EXCELSIOR~Xx said:
Make sure to have SOME holes in the container...otherwise after a bit you might find your container in the form of small confetti size shreds

I bet the top would just pop open. :)

That would work but probably only for a few hours under full CPU load. To get even more radical you could try to submerge the entire system in liquid nitrogen.

Thank You,
Daniel

ashenfang said:
10 pounds of dry ice in a totally closed insolated cooler will last approx. 48 hours. Now this is without being exposed to the air and as time goes on it will slowly fade into gas even if there is no radiator in. Simply becuase the air is still "melting" it

Sublimating.

LOL I saw what happened to some new zealanders who tried liquid nitrogen cooling - Not good

The computer still worked but the BIOS got scambled and all the keys were swapped round or something.

Back