• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

raid confusion with IC7-G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

roYal

K, the manual sais the SATA silicon supports RAID 0/1 and the ICH5R supports only RAID 0. However their website sais only the ICH5R supports raid 0 and the silicon doesn't have raid. Which is true? I have 2 drivers, 80MB 8MB WD and a 80MB Maxtor. I plan on getting another 80MB 8MB WD and hooking the 2 of them in raid and using the 80MB on another channel or something. What would be the best solution for the 3 drives?

Both controlers support RAID .

The Intel ICH5R ony supports RAID0 , and the Silicon supports RAID 0/1 .

From my understanding the Intel ICH5R also has better performance for a RAID config .

I would use the ICH5R for your RAID strip and the Silicon controller for your third drive .

I use a IC7 (non G) with a RAID0 config using the Intel controller and have had NO problems with it thus far .

stereo555

Hi Stereo
Is it possible to chose boot drive at start without going in soft menu ? As i have triple boot now with my th7 II ,when changing for IC7, I dont want to reinstall all this (2hdd of 120Gb !) i'm planning to keep those drives on IDE and reinstall an other copy of XP on SATA raid on 2 raptors , will i keep the choice between triple boot(xp,2000 and 98 se) on ide and (or) the XP on SATA Raid ?
I know the chance of a repair install of the XP that works with TH7 II is low ,and worse for the other OS as there is no repair option so I will propably have to reinstall all those progs . But normally you can have 3 hdd in master ,one on IDE , and the 2 in sata raid (even 2 more on IC7 G) right ? So you should have the choice when booting to chose from which hdd to boot ,no ?

Back