• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU Ducting??????????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NcBaller1985

I am building my first PC and I have seen a lot of people using "ducts" to directly connect there CPU to a fan. Is this a good option to cool???? Also, if I were to put a duct in, which fan should I connect to and does the fan need to be outake or ontake???

Here is my case:

Clear_cases-white.jpg

as it stands what temps are you receiving. With the 2 fans situated right in front of your mobo I dont think ducting wouldnt be the way to go. If those fans on the side of the case are intake fans then you should be receiving some decent temps

I haven't even built the computer yet....I just ordered everything and I am waiting to get it in the mail. I was just wondering if ducting would be a good idea. Thanks though.

Well if you want to use ducting you need to hook it up to an exhaust fan if the air is being sucked up into the heatsink. You need to hook it up to an intake fan if the air is blowing across the heatsink. You may decide that you don't won't to bother with it once you get setup if you get good temps.

Thank You,
Daniel

If you do choose to put in a duct: I would get a piece of clear acrylic tubing, about 4" dia. and run it straight through the side of your case to the cpu hsf. The cpu fan is enough to pull air in, you don't need a fan on the other end of the duct. Negative case pressure helps. Here's pics of my duct.

Haha....nice duck tape job! You know what they say....If you can't duck it, F*** it. J/k. Thanks for the advice. I will see what the temps are when I put my case together and then I will decide wether or not to duct the cpu.

If i was going to do a duct on that case, i'd run one from the top side panel intake fan as long as the side fan is at least the cfm of the heat sink fan. We are giong to need some pics once you get all that together. :) Also, there are rules about how big you sig can be, (gotta save skip the bandwidth) might want to tighten that up a little.

Back