• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Lithium/sodium/potassium as a TIM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Damian

I just got this crazy idea... why not use a Group IA metal as a TIM? If these metals are so soft that they can be cut with a butter knife, wouldn't they be soft enough to mold very precisely to the die and heatsink? Of course, an oil container would have to be devised to prevent oxidation, but still...

any ideas? Or was this idea already posted before?

Even though they can be cleaved relatively easily, they don't necessarily have the same malleability that a liquid compound has. To fill in the miniature gaps and crevasses in the die and the bottom of the heatsink, a certain amount of 'flow' has to be achieved. A solid metal, regardless of how soft it is, will only move around so much. If you were to come up with a metal with the consistency of Jell-O, that would probably work =p.

The other issue I see is thickness... Thermal pads and heatsink gels compress to a thickness that's thinner than paper. You'd have to start out with a sheet of metal so tiny that it wouldn't add too much pressure on top of the die when the heatsink is clipped on. And when you have a sheet of metal that small, it's likely going to be reducing the 'flow' of the malleable metals. Anything thicker and you'll probably break your die when you bolt on your heatsink... Either that, or you're heatsink won't be properly mounted and you are losing performance anyway.

So? Any Athlon without a heatsink reaches a couple hundred degrees (I believe it was about 600 F) which is enough to melt... a lot of stuff.

Last edited:
not sure if sodium(in pure form) would be a good idea. I know sodium reacts violently with water molocules, so if the humidity in the room got high enough, you could very well blow your processor through your case and quite possibly your wall:rolleyes: makes hydrogen gas, then produces enough heat to self ignite. Thats why they store it in kerosene

NaK, an alloy of sodium and potassium, is liquid at room temperature. But if you get a drop of it on your hand, it will eat it's way all the way through your hand, and will catch on fire while it's at it. The products of this reaction, NaOH and KOH will continue to cause further damage. You could easily lose your hand.
If you give sodium or potassium the opportunity to start reacting, such as getting it on a wet hand or in a cut, it will do the same thing.

Well, as for the latter two posts, that's what the "stored in oil" part would be for.

With sodium and potasium? are you making a bomb? :D

lithium is good source for cancer.

I suggest to buy prometia cooling before you really do it.

Back