• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you turn a heatsink into a Waterblock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bsspewer

i just got my SLK-7 in the other day and was looking at it with lots of gleam in my eye..when an idea hit me...Can you take a cpu heatsink and seal it up, then place barbs on it to turn it into a water block? has someone done it?

the slk series would be a very bad one to do it to. theres like 9000% extra fin space than can be used.

Jon

maybe some of the thermaltake volcano 7's or 9's....I think they would be worth a try perhaps, or maybe look around and find some more munday fully copper ones and mod those a bit? I dont' see the SLK's as being a great one to mod because of how wide and extra space they have. But I'm sure it's possible to do a nice job within reason. And then there is always the part of how you want your water to flow throught the block.

its how tall, how thick the base is, how the water would flow, etc. There is very few heatsinks that are suitable for waterblock conversion.

Jon

Back