• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4P800 - no active cooling hinders overclocks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LtBlue14

P4P800 - no active NB cooling hinders overclocks?

i'm wondering if this is an issue people have been having with the board. no one seems to touch their northbridge or think about the fact that all they have is a heatsink - no fan - on it. anyone found overclocking with the passive northbridge cooling to be a problem? this goes for the P4C800 as well. this fact might persuade me to get an abit instead

Last edited:
The evidence I've seen indicates that actively cooling the northbridge doesn't improve overclockability of the Asus boards.

Even without an active cooler, these things overclock just as well as other board brands. Think about it for a second. How big is the heatsink on the Abit board? Damned small. Does it need a fan? Hell yes. How big is the heatsink on the Asus board? Huge.

JohnMK said:
The evidence I've seen indicates that actively cooling the northbridge doesn't improve overclockability of the Asus boards.

Even without an active cooler, these things overclock just as well as other board brands. Think about it for a second. How big is the heatsink on the Abit board? Damned small. Does it need a fan? Hell yes. How big is the heatsink on the Asus board? Huge.

Sorry to say but you are 100% wrong... Cooling the Northbridge will give you a higher overclock if the chip can do it. A great example is a 2.4C... A chip like that needs a VERY high bus speed and the northbridge can get hotter than the CPU..

Overclocker456 said:

Sorry to say but you are 100% wrong... Cooling the Northbridge will give you a higher overclock if the chip can do it. A great example is a 2.4C... A chip like that needs a VERY high bus speed and the northbridge can get hotter than the CPU..

Sorry to say but YOU are 100% wrong. On these boards active cooling does squat. The heatsink is cool to the touch and mine never goes over case temp which is 77F. Slap a fan on it and no change....already tried it lol.

Stop *******g at each other. Geez.

It is entirely possible that some NBs don't max out on the P4P800's, while some do and could benefit from active cooling. Chill. Blow a fan on it and see if it helps. If not, oh well, no harm done.

Read the front page guys. Ed posted this here on June 16th:
Unlike the IC-7, the P4P800 comes with only a passive heatsink. This thing gets hot at default speed, and at 280+, you'll literally get burned by mine with any prolonged contact.

However, placing a fan on it didn't seem to help maximum performance very much (though it cooled down the heatsink considerably); I could only get an extra MHz FSB from it. Then again, when you have a motherboard out in the open in a cool room with a water-cooled CPU, that represents more ideal conditions than can be found in the average case.

As a precaution, if nothing else, a simple fan remains a good idea.

And then later in the article he said the most important thing:
Others have also looked at the P4P800. Here's what one reviewer had to say:

"In terms of overall board stability, the P4P800 was rock solid up to 300 MHz PSB but completely failed above 302 MHz bus speed. Kyle from [H]ardOCP had emailed me about stability problems above 250 MHz he experienced with his board unless active cooling was added to the MCH, we did not see anything like this, moreover, the MCH heatsink never got anything but lukewarm to the touch. Whether there is a story behind this or it is just coincidence is completely beyond our knowledge and we won't comment further."

That paragraph bothers me, and it should bother you. One person can't get above 250MHz without additional cooling. Another hits 300MHz with a lukewarm heatsink. I get 290MHz, but the only place you'd call my heatsink lukewarm would be in the neighborhood of a blast furnace.

This tells me there's a lot of variation among these Springdales, which means there's a level of risk associated with them. Not a big deal running stock, and probably not one running a modest overclock, but a much bigger deal when you are pushing the envelope.

Last edited:
It has already been stated by quite a few people, Ed included, that active cooling for the 865/875 boards is an absolute must for anyone wanting to do serious overclocking. There is a huge thread in the abit section devoted entirely to removing the stock cooler and adding third party options. Personally I first bought a P4C800. I noticed that my northbridge was literally so hot I could barely keep a finger on it. I was also experiencing random reboots with my 3.0C only clocked at 220 with the ram at 5:4. I put a 40mm fan on the stock passive heatsink and I have since been running 235 rock solid. I just bought a P4P800 and I ordered a thermaltake tiger 1 to go with it. In a nutshell - if you want the best overclock possible you definitely need better cooling for the northbridge.

TC said:
It has already been stated by quite a few people, Ed included, that active cooling for the 865/875 boards is an absolute must for anyone wanting to do serious overclocking. There is a huge thread in the abit section devoted entirely to removing the stock cooler and adding third party options. Personally I first bought a P4C800. I noticed that my northbridge was literally so hot I could barely keep a finger on it. I was also experiencing random reboots with my 3.0C only clocked at 220 with the ram at 5:4. I put a 40mm fan on the stock passive heatsink and I have since been running 235 rock solid. I just bought a P4P800 and I ordered a thermaltake tiger 1 to go with it. In a nutshell - if you want the best overclock possible you definitely need better cooling for the northbridge.

I couldn't have said it better myself...:)

Obviously batotman thinks he's cooling a intel 440BX chipset, not a springdale or canterwood that runs past 1000MHz..:rolleyes:

Overclocker456 said:

I couldn't have said it better myself...:)

Obviously batotman thinks he's cooling a intel 440BX chipset, not a springdale or canterwood that runs past 1000MHz..:rolleyes:

Hmmmm guess my p4c800 and p4p800 must be super chips that can get by on 440bx cooling.....moron.

batotman said:

Hmmmm guess my p4c800 and p4p800 must be super chips that can get by on 440bx cooling.....moron.

aawww poor baby got upset. Dude its ok we all make mistakes.
Listen if you don't think that cooling the 865/875 better helps the max bus speed these motherboards can do, I really don't care. It's your loss.

Just don't mislead others who don't know and are asking questions and what the right answers. (Unless you want to mislead people). Because it has been proven time and time again with the 865/875 chipsets. That cooling them better does help.

Here's a small example... (check the overclocking part)

http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=186225

All fine and dandy but does anyone have any suggestions on how to install a fan on stock heatsink (it has very soft fins and therefore securing a fan might be a problem).

hi,
i know this is abit off topic but could i ask a question?

now i know this question has already been asked but with all the new bios being released by companies now which is the better mobo?

ic7 or p4p800 or...?

thanks for your help

Rashio_UK said:
hi,

now i know this question has already been asked but with all the new bios being released by companies now which is the better mobo?

ic7 or p4p800 or...?

thanks for your help

P4P800... check the forum for more responses..

Rashio_UK said:
hi,

ic7 or p4p800 or...?

thanks for your help

:argue: Would depend on who you were talking to at the moment :-/

sharac said:
All fine and dandy but does anyone have any suggestions on how to install a fan on stock heatsink (it has very soft fins and therefore securing a fan might be a problem).
For a 40mm fan, dabs of superglue at the corners should be enough to get it onto the heatsink securely.

Code:
                www                           www
                  www          wwwwww        www
                    www       www  www      www
                      www    www    www    www
                        www www      www www
                          www ww     ww www

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eee
                 eee
                 eee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eee
                 eee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

LLL
                 LLL
                 LLL
                 LLL
                 LLL
                 LLL
                 LLL 
                 LLL
                 LLL
                 LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL 
                 LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

ccccccccc
                     ccc              ccc
                    ccc
                   ccc
                  ccc
                  ccc
                  ccc
                   ccc
                    ccc
                     ccc               ccc
                           ccccccccc

ooooooo
                      ooo          ooo
                     ooo            ooo
                    ooo              ooo
                   ooo                ooo
                   ooo                ooo
                   ooo                ooo
                    ooo              ooo
                     ooo            ooo
                      ooo          ooo
                         oooooooo

mmmmm              mmmmm
                   mmm mm            mm mmm
                   mmm  mm          mm  mmm 
                   mmm   mm        mm   mmm
                   mmm    mm      mm    mmm
                   mmm     mm    mm     mmm
                   mmm       mm mm      mmm
                   mmm        mmmm      mmm
                   mmm                  mmm
                   mmm                  mmm

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eee
                 eee
                 eee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eee
                 eee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
                 eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

to the forums :)

JKeefe said:
For a 40mm fan, dabs of superglue at the corners should be enough to get it onto the heatsink securely.

I was thinking about superglue but decided to use a glue gun.

NB_fan.jpg

Works fine and I can actually touch the hs now. It's still a bit warm but not nearly as warm as it was before I put the fan on there.

-Bobby

Time to go buy a 40mm fan then, so far I am at 1066FSB, but maybe there is more to come. Putting this rig in a custom modded case as well so will add a fan then....

sharac said:

Can you visualize a low rpm 80 mm fan propped up or wedged btwn the backside of the VC and the cpu HS? It is sort of caddy cornered pointing at an angle towards the backside of the VC and the NB. It is dual purpose. If you need a picture, let me know.

Back