• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which P4 setup to get

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr Snub

I'm going to be picking up a c class pentium 4 and would like the best cpu/motherboard/ram combo for a decent price. I will be running dual-channel. I am currently running an AMD 1800+ palomino and felt it was time to upgrade. I appreciate all suggestions.

Mods: Sorry if this is the wrong board, I did not know where to post this.

Best CPU is obviously 2.4c. Mobo, good price/performance is abit is7. Ram, this is a bit difficult... Kingston Hyper-X is good, Corsair is good but pricey, and buffalo is usually good.

Also I would like to get a good OCing board, which board Overclocks the best and is it true that canterwoods overclock better?

The overclocking difference between 865 and 875 boards from the same maker (like the Abit IS7 and IC7, or the Asus P4P and P4C) look like they might add up to something on paper. But in practice it's been a draw.

BHD

Go with a p4 2.6C, NOT a p4 2.4C, it will give you a lot more headroom for a little mor cash. for the rest of it look at my sig.

None!!! Intel nows says that 865/875P boards won't support Prescott, so it would be better to wait for new motherboards with an upgrade path.

Some intel motherboards will support prescot, I'm hoping that the p4p800 is one of them, can anyone confirm this?

Back