• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New machine config and questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Patjr

I am about to push the button and order the following

Cases (Computer Cases, ATX Form) ANTEC LIFE STYLE SERIES SONATA PIANO BLACK $104.99
CD/DVD Lite On Black 48x24x48x16 CDROM/CDRW/DVD Combo Drive LTC-48161H $61.99
Floppy Drives SONY 1.44MB 3.5 INCH INTERNAL FDD DRIVE - OEM-BLACK $10.00
Mouse Logitech MX700 Cordless Optical Mouse - RETAIL $63.00

Hard Drives Western Digital Raptor 36GB SATA WD360GD 10,000 RPM 8MB Hard Drive OEM $139.00
Memory CORSAIR MEMORY XMS , Low Latency 1GB(2 x 512MB) 2x(64MX64) PC-3200LL $296.00
Motherboards - ABIT IS7,Intel 865PE chipset for Socket 478 P4 ATX motherboard RETAIL $109.00
Processors Intel Pentium 4 / 2.4CGHz 512k 800 MHz FSB - RETAIL $175.00
Video Cards ATI OEM SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 128MB Non Pro $279.00

SHipping $25.00

Total $1,262.98

(prices from Newegg btw)

question is this the right memeory? Do other components make sense?

The memory is correct, but I would get the Abit IC7-G. What power supply are you getting? I'm not sure if that case comes with a Power supply. I recommend PC Power & Cooling Turbo Cool 350. I have been hearing a lot of good things lately about the Buffalo ram and also the Crucial ram has been very fast and goes well with OCing. I think if you want the fastest ram get the OCZ gold. And while your at it you really should consider buying an additional Raptor and running a striped raid 0 array. This doubled my HD benchmark scores.

Supposedly, the IS7/IC7 have issues with Winbond CH-5 memory modules and I think I read somewhere that Corsair PC3200 LL is now using CH-5 rather than BH-6. The issues comes into play when you overclock using the 5/4 and 3/2 memory dividers, which you'd have to do if you overclock it much. Check out Abit's forums as well for user feedback about memory problems. I've got BH-6 memory and I'll find out later this week how it goes when I get the rest of my new setup.:D Buffalo PC3700 at newegg uses BH-6 memory http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=buffalo+pc3700 and there's been some good words said about it around here.

The Sonata I believe comes with an Antec PSU, they make nice PSU's. Everything else looks fine. Goodluck!

welcometotheforums.JPG

Welcome to the forums Patjr and JimmyZzzzz!!!

(how's that? :p)

Corsair doesn't recommend their PC3200's on the 865/875 chipsets. Will it work? Yes but don't expect to get much o/c'ing from them.

-Bobby

Well, it looks like you're willing to spend 3 bills on memory so I'd say check out OCZ PC3500 or PC3700 GOLD (not Platinum or EL). They seem to be the best out there for the Intel chipset so far but I can't seem to find a vendor that has them in stock or doesn't overcharge for these modules.

-Bobby

BH-6 is a tough find now, since most companies are moving to CH-5 chips. I am putting my rig together today with the new memory I just bought. According to Larva, who has some himself, the Kingston ValueRam PC2700 labeled "D328DW-60" on the chips themselves are BH-6. So, I broused Best Buy (the 512MB modules are on sale here this week) and found two of those modules. Just be careful that they have that label on the chips. Kingston PC2700 ValueRam uses many company's chips, none of which are as good as the BH-6. Now while it is only PC2700, they are usually overclockable to PC3200 from what others have said.
My other choice, and probably the easier find and faster memory (though more expensive) is Buffalo PC3700-just make sure it says a "WB" at the end and it will still be BH-6 memory. Their PC3200 is now using CH-5. http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=Go&description=buffalo+pc3700

Back