• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling help? (nooby)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oblivion2kX

Registered
Ok im running my current rig(see sig) at stock air and well considering the strenght of the new fans I would need to cool this baby down on air is ridiculous. Sooo..Im considering water cooling.

Is water cooling very effective? like will it drop temps 10-20C? And how much woudl a "decent" water kit cost? ...im lookin to spend 100-150$ max

with some DIY you can get a decent rig set up in that range... i dont know about your temp drop though, no P4 knowledge here... but i would definatley expect you to drop down to the low 40's at load

Well what im aiming at is a water cooled system that will lower temps and case noise with some uv fluid in it that will last we a few years

Water cooling is not a "miracle cure" for temps ;)

It still has to deal with the physics of Heat Transfer and since it actually transfers heat in more places (cpu->block->water->rad->air) it is less Efficient than air with just 3 steps (cpu->sink->air.)

*But it does have higher cooling potential and the ability to run quieter while dissipating a given amount of heat.*

One of the factors you need to look at to see how much of a temp difference you can get is to determine your current C/W:

Delta = CPU temp - Ambient Temp
C/W = Delta / CPU Watts

To find the watts for an overclocked cpu go HERE
(Note that the C/W you come up with is not going to be scientifically accurate- just a ballpark figure.)

After you know what you have now, you can determine what you need to achieve your goals:)

My best H2O system runs a C/W around .08 to .10, my worst around .19.

Oblivion2kX said:
Ok im running my current rig(see sig) at stock air and well considering the strenght of the new fans I would need to cool this baby down on air is ridiculous. Sooo..Im considering water cooling.

Is water cooling very effective? like will it drop temps 10-20C? And how much woudl a "decent" water kit cost? ...im lookin to spend 100-150$ max

I have a 2.4b c1 @ 184fsb (3312) 1.6v. Summer came, and temps got out of control 57c air cooled. After water cooling Im very happy with my temps.
I spent around $220, and believe it was worth every penny. I probably could have saved a few bucks, and invested more time DIY'ing some stuff, and maybe a cheaper pump than the Eheim1250, but wanted to get things right the first time ;)

I just re-read what I posted earlier and realized that I forgot to add something....;)

While water cooling isn't a miracle cure, and it is less efficient than air cooling, it does improve temps.

The simplest way to explain it is that a radiator has a bigger surface area than any heat sink :)

This WILL reduce your cpu temp, and it is possible to get within just a few degrees of ambient temp.

Proof of my belief in watercooling: I have three systems water cooled. I do also have two left on air but.........
Time may fix that :D

Is a C/W of .34 bad? This is a stock air cooled P4 2.4C and Ambient is 86, CPU temp currently at 60% load is 111-113.

Air: 42C-46C load
Water: 29C - 31C load

Water is quieter, water has better cooling capabilites (not a 100% cooling fix).

Problems with water:

If it leaks while on you are instantly screwed. If the pump or fan dies, you will be screwed in the matter of minutes. It costs a lot of money (mine was $150-$200 all together, and that's with my brothers hardware store employee discount). It takes a lot of time and effort to build. If you are a busy person, I suggest having a backup system standing by, because it could take all week.

But in the end, you will be proud of what you have accomplished.

Back