• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

In Search of The Elusive "Perfect Case"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jorlain

Well, perfect for what I want to use it for, anyway.

There are a TON of options these days, and there's a lot of opinions to go with them. So here I am, hoping some of you have dabbled with enough of the current offerings to give me some guidance.

These are my must-haves.
1. Room for a 360mm radiator.
2. Room for at least 1 3.5" HDD with said 360mm rad.
3. Not-sealed front panel.
4. Enough space for future GPUs (Currently a GTX 1080).

These are my nice-to-haves:
1. Decent Cable Management
2. If it does the whole RGB thing (I mean, they pretty much all do now, right?), I'd prefer if it had its own controller, USB header, push button, whatever.
3. A side panel that isn't a PITA to get on or off... Or comes off too easily. I'm a fan of the simplicity of thumb screws.
4. A handle gets a big thumbs up for me to make transport easier.
5. $100 would be slick. Max budget $200, expecting $150-ish.
6. Dark colors are good. I'm also a sucker for drab\olive\ugly green; like military jeep green. A modernized Corsair C70 would be epic. :salute:
7. PSU Cover with some ventilation. I'm not a fan of sealing off the PSU, but I do like hiding all of the cable clutter.
8. Decent air flow. While I'll be water cooling the CPU, the GPU will be stock air cooling for the foreseeable future. I typically game at 3440x1440 so it can get toasty.

Example of a couple things I've looked at:
Lian Li O11 Dynamic - I like this case, but I don't think I'd want to haul it to a LAN due to the way the panels attach.
ASUS Tuf GT501 - Functionally, I think this ticks most of my checkboxes. There's something that I don't like about it, though, but I'm having a hard time putting my finger on it. Anyone use this case before?

Well, I think I've done enough wishing in one hand. Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
-Mike

I think most Fractal Design cases clear both lists with the exception of the handle ? I used an r4/r5/Define S and swear by them, tough, heavy but fairly easy to handle, easy to work with, very roomy and well ventilated, and good price. Check out the reviews.

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/

Welcome back to the Forums Mike.

Not sure if you noticed, but I've compiled a list of quality cases, many of which will suit your needs. Some thing to note. Any case that is capable of housing a 360mm Radiator will be a chore to carry to a lan party and will most likely not come with a carry handle.

Happy hunting!

Hey guys!

Thanks for the advise. I did browse through your List Blaylock, and I've looked at quite a few reviews, but after spending days looking at pictures and reading it's nice to have people to communicate it all with.

I have done a build in a Meshify C with a 360mm AIO in the front. It was really tight with a 2070 Super. They touched ever so slightly. The tough part was that I had to remove the 3.5" drive cage for the 360mm radiator, which is why I figured I'd have to go with a larger chassis.

I think in the end I'm probably going to go with a Meshify S2 or a O11 Dynamic (or one of its variants). I didn't really want the bulk without some sort of handle but there's slim pickings out there for such cases in the larger chassis designs.

Thanks everyone for your considerations.

-Mike

Welcome back to the Forums Mike.

Not sure if you noticed, but I've compiled a list of quality cases, many of which will suit your needs. Some thing to note. Any case that is capable of housing a 360mm Radiator will be a chore to carry to a lan party and will most likely not come with a carry handle.

Happy hunting!

IMNSHO the 900D should not be on that list. The most important function of a case is to enclose much more expensive hardware, and that function is not satisfied by a thing whose doors and panels have been constantly flopping open due to weak springs since shortly after I got it 5 years ago.

This thread is from January and he hasn't posted back since then. I would assume he's already made a decision.

Any case by Corsair and recommended by BlayLock would be sufficient for your use case.
Just ensure you bag it at a reasonable price.
You could get that at Amazon or at a local wholesale retailer at your place which ever offers a reasonable deal.

Back