• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cheepos and winflash.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

aznchaos

Is it safe to use winflash to flash cheepos bios for my l7s7a2? On ocworkbench i saw someone say not to use winflash why? I would post this there but theyre not excepting anymore users.

Well, I was one who stated not to use winflash. Not because I personally ever had problems with it, because I have never used it to flash a bios, but because others have.
One point is that if it is such a good program, why haven't we read a lot about it, or that a lot of people use it?
Also, as the new OSs are being introduced so frequently and with all kinds of patches and service packs, I question whether the idea of bios flashing is ever considered and compatibility checked.
As someone else once suggested, there is just too much going on with the system once the OS is loaded and there are too many chances for problems.
Unfortunately, with the L7S7A2, the problems go beyond the flash program.
Many of these boards, especially the newer ones, have the bios chip soldered onto the board. If this is the case in your situation, beware, because if the flash goes badly, there is no recovery method.
For some odd reason, the floppy disk recovery procedure does not work on the mainboard.
So, unless you want to do some serious hardware modding, you take the chance of a dead mainboard if the flash goes wrong.

Back