• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TT smart fan 2 questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-N-

ok... I'm kind of sad so I have questions about this fan.. bear with me.

There are three plugs coming from the fan right? one for power, one for a fan controlling switch, one for the temperature sensor.

Where are you supposed to put the sensor thing? do people even use this? does it make the fan auto adjust the speed according to temp?

for the power connector, why are there two, 3-pin connectors? one with pins, one with just 3 holes.

I got a little bag with a some wierd sticker? and a tiny blue clip or cap. What is this?

thanks people!!!
:D

I don't know of anybody that uses the temp sensor. I just use the adjustable knob. The temp sensor does adjust for your processing needs though.

1) You can place the sensor on the bottom of a heatsink (NOT over the processor core or heatspreader) to make the fan speed up at a certain temps (goes up to 4800RPM/70 some CFM @ 55C). You could also place it on the Northbridge heatsink if you're using it for a case fan to detect if your system temp gets higher (and therefore may need some more airflow to maintain a temp) and it'll spin up a little.
As said, you don't HAVE to use the thermal sensor.

2)There is one connector that goes to the motherboard for power. This is the connection you explained being the "3 pin with just holes". Plug that into a motherboard fan header. The other 3 Pin (With actual 3 pins) connectors is where you connect either the thermal sensor or manual speed control. The red one you hook up to the thermal sensor, where as the orange is where you plug in the manual controller.

3) The sticker is for your enjoyment... Feel free to throw it on your case wherever (or in the trash). The tiny blue cap is for the connector you won't be using - For example, if you choose to just use the manual speed controller, you can cover the thermal probe connector with the blue cap. (And Vice-Versa)

4) And you can also run the SFII at full speed (4800RPM) by just plugging the fan header connection into the motherboard and not attaching the sensor or manual speed controller. IMPORTANT NOTE: There is a fan header at the bottom right of your Gigabyte motherboard.

Also, I found these pictures helpful in figuring this all out.

Last edited:
ohh.... so it's one of the three options? either full speed 24/7, manual fan control, or auto controlled by temp sensor?

oh and usually don't you use the 3-4 pin molex connector?

Yep.
Ussually you want to use the 3-4 pin connecter cause it takes the power straight from the psu isntead of through the motherboard. But if you want to monitor RPM then you need to plug the 3 pin in your mobo.

so... wait, you can't connect the fan to your PSU and to your mobo to monitor RPM? the fan came with a 3pin to 4pin connector.. but there's an extra 3-hole connector hanging along with no where to go. It's only connected by a yellow wire, if that clears anything up.. so i'm guesing you can plug both?

Yes, you use the adapter so that it gets power from the PSU and so that the header on the MB can monitor its RPMs.

you have one wire that you can attach to your mobo or a 3 to 4 pin conversion, that will supply power and tell you the rpms. and then the other input is for either the temp sensor or the speed adjusting knob. if you use one feature then you put the blue jumper in the other feature so you can disable it. otherwise it will just run full speed.

Hm, if I were to use this as a fan for my cpu, would it be a bad idea to use it on a fanbus? I can just imagine the fanbus burning up or someone turning it down cause it's loud while it's overclocked. I don't really want to open my case and adjust it manually each time I set back to stock speeds either... what would you do?

what kinda sucks is that I don't even thing the wire is long enough to stretch to your bays in front.

If you want to use it with a fanbus and are worried you can always go into your bios and set the shutdown temps to like 55 or whatever...

Good idea rugbyboy. I am waiting for my stuff to arrive and have to get used to all these fancy schmancy bios features :)

You can use a fanbus by ignoring the thermal sensor and manual adjuster, just plug the power from the fan into your Fanbus. I doubt you'll run into any problems using a fanbus instead of the included controller.

-N- said:
what kinda sucks is that I don't even thing the wire is long enough to stretch to your bays in front.

yes i noticed this problem too. all you need to do is splice the wires and add a foot or so and that should do it.

We'll see when I hook it up. Unless I find a way to get a 120mm fan on the slk800-u I think it will be a smartfanII for me.

thanks, i read your other post also. I was concerned with CFMs but now I realize that psi is also important.

I use the 800 smartfan 2 combo and it works fine for me. I should lap the 800 though and remount it, but it's still giving me pretty good temps on these hot summer days..

Back