• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

South Bridge cooling........

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

Ok about a month ago or so, i got a new motherboard. it came with a built on HSF for my north Bridge. But i want to put a heatsink on my southbridge too. I have like two extra heatsinks laying around. One is a bit bigger than needed...and will be harder to keep on it. but the other......is smaller.....and lighter. it came with my old Intel Celeron 400MHZ processor. i just need a way to keep is secure.......anyone have any ideas?

Why do i want to do this? meh, i'm bored and because i can. We are overclockers.......we dont like heat......we go to extremes.

oh and did i mention i'm INCREDIBLY BORED!

so any suggestions?

Put AS3 everywhere except for the ends of two corners.. but a tiny bit of superglue on those corners then press it down really hard untill it drys.

Know of any other ways.......that are......less permanent?

if i did the super glue idea.....would i be able to take the HS off of the SB without messing up, or hurting my mobo?

Yes, with a tiny bit of superglue on 2 corners you can easily remove it but it will hold very well until you do.

Ok, what kind of superglue??? a specific type? or a specific strength? like the SUPER glue. that if you glue two fingers together, and try to pull them apart, it will tear the skin off? or something....not quite that strong?

Yup that strong, I just did it with that stuff. Just grab your generic small bottle of "Supper" glue from any hobbie or hardware store. Nothing fancy or expensive. Make sure to press down and hold down, dont put too much compound or it wont work right.

Oh and I have glued a small part of my fingers together, just grab an X-acto knife and be carful thats what I did.

LOL, an exacto knife.......heh

talk about being careful

i think we migh have some super glue here somewhere........i think.

if not, i can try to get some. just got to find a store that will sell glue that strong.

thanks for the reply's. and my SB, actually is quite warm. if i hold my finger on there for like 10 seconds.....my finger starts to get really hot.

Well if your really board you might try doing some phase-change cooling on you north and south bridge, but only if you got time and dough :D

.....uh. i have one small problem here.........

the Heatsink is bigger than the SB. and the corners of the HS don't touch the Mobo. i'd have to use like a hot glue gun to get the clue to reach the mobo.......

What are you talking about? Mine is bigger to. Put the superglue on the edges on the sough bridge no the heatsink. You will have some overhang but thats even better. Dont get a hot glue gun near you mobo in this case.

Glue it to the SB not the mobo.. how would the corners of the heatsink touch the mobo lol?

yup, i have Aim and MSN

ZexMarquies01 for Aim

E-mail is [email protected] you can get ahold of me either way

and your saying, put super glue on the corners of the SB. I thought you guys were saying put super glue on the corners of the Heat sink. lol

If your really bored why not sit there and hold it on, run a few benchmarks, run again without. Do this 30 or so times and calculate the statistical differences between the two and post the results. Don't forget you would need to account for the heat added to the heatsink by you fingers:D. I was at comp usa the other day and they had a passive heat sink that came with a thermal adhesive. Less than 10.00

hmm....that WOULD be fun DarkNight.......but.......god. i don't think i have the patience for that.

Plus what Bencies would i run? i could run bencies with it off, as it is right now. Then when i put it on, i can run bencies and see what the difference was after i put it on.

know what kind of benchmarks may help me here?

Back