• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Comair Rotron as single case fan - intake or exhaust?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pelikan

The 24V model should put out about 100cfm at 12V. I'm considering mounting it to a big hole in my side panel to blow in and let the exhaust go out the front and rear fan holes (without fans) in my case.
The other option is to mount it in the lower front of my case as an exhaust and have the only intake be my existing cpu duct. The duct is a 4.5" pvc pipe going straight out my side panel. It's a passive duct so there's no fan in it. It's powered by my cpu fan.
Opinions?

If it's just one fan I suggest the first option. Even though I used to use negative case pressure (had me a front page article even) before I went H2O I did it with several fans to sculpt the direction of the airflow. If you're just going to have one superfan that'll cool by sheer brute force by either blowing in or sucking our I'd put it to blowing in on the side, your cards will get some extra cooling and you'll only need to filter one area (the actual fan) instead of sealing up as many cracks as you can and then putting filters on all of the holes you leave open for intake.

Yeah, that makes sense. I think I'll make a cardboard side panel and try it out in that first. I'm not sure if it'll work better than the duct I'm using now.

pelikan said:
Yeah, that makes sense. I think I'll make a cardboard side panel and try it out in that first. I'm not sure if it'll work better than the duct I'm using now.

That's the right way to go. I made cardboard temp doors before when testing fan placement and airflow. I probably should have suggested that for anyone who was reading this thread and had a similar question. Everyone pay attention to what pelikan said, it's a very useful idea.

Back