• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

To ANYONE Using Radioshack Thermal Paste

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

moz_21

I have a tube of this stuff: Radioshack Silicone Base Heat Sink Compound

This stuff sucks. I never realized it until I bought some AS Ceramique. I had noticed that the Radioshack stuff seemed to leak out because of the heat. I notice a shininess around the cpu core and I figured it was the themal paste. But I had no clue as to how it got there because I had only put it onto the heatsink.

Anyhow, with this stuff I was getting 54-58C on core.
My new AS Ceramique: 44C
All is under FAH load. Case Temp 24C

Radioshack Heatsink Compound: :cry:
AS Ceramique: :thup:

Upgrade today :D

It's a little cooler today so it is probably like a 6C difference. Plus this is fresh paste - it hasn't set in yet so it could go down even more.

That silicon compound should NOT BE USED on any modern socket cpu heatsink. It is acceptable for old Slot A and Slot 1 applications because of the large heat spreaders used at the time.

Graphic67 said:
That silicon compound should NOT BE USED on any modern socket cpu heatsink. It is acceptable for old Slot A and Slot 1 applications because of the large heat spreaders used at the time.

Thats funny. I used it on 2 processors with the heatspreaders and I thought it worked a lot better. But it was all I had. :bang head:

honestly, if different heatsink compound changed your temp by 10C then i have to question your heatsink installation with the 'worse performing' compound

there are tons of compound comparisons online at many reputable sites... 1-2C difference is all you're likely to see

illig said:
there are tons of compound comparisons online at many reputable sites... 1-2C difference is all you're likely to see

I would be quite surprised to see any "reputable sites" use that sort of heat sink coumpound...

Unless they were doing a story on "the 10 easiest ways to fry your cpu."

Graphic67 said:
You sure? I use Coolermaster's high performance silicon, it works great. It doesnt bake or "melt" like the cheaper silicon paste. Look at my load temps with my palimono, and the coolermaster X-Dream.

Radio Shack goop is Dow Corning 340 grease. It is a very cost effective grease. It does not perform as well as the new silver grease or Shin Etsu stuff, but i would think it won't make 6C difference.

I had some generic silicone compound wouldn't thin out. This Radioshack stuff seems to thin out with the heat and run off them.

illig said:
honestly, if different heatsink compound changed your temp by 10C then i have to question your heatsink installation with the 'worse performing' compound

The heatsink is installed right and I have lapped it. Like I said, it is quite cooler here today. 6C is totally possible.

Also with the Radioshack compound, I would remove the heatsink and there wouldn't be any compound over the die. AS Ceramique leaves some.

Back