• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Choices Choices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Deathknight

I haven't been in the market for new memory in a while so I haven't been keeping up with current events as well as I would like so I am looking for a little advice.

I am looking for some new memory to go with my new motherboard (NF7-S). I am looking for some pretty good FSB speeds(I have no idea yet where this board will top out at for fsb but lets assume 250 or less) with good timings. The memory that sounds pretty ideal for me is Mushkin black high perf level II pc3500. Everyone here seems to think its great quality stuff and the speeds and timings are probably right in the range that I want them. Only problem is price. If I can get away with something cheaper I would like to. If not well thats ok too.

Anyways the other memory I was looking at is Twinmos pc3700. I was wondering what timings people were typically able to run their twinmos pc3700 at?

What do you think of those 2 memory modules? Is there anything else I should be considering? There is a hefty $80 price gap between the twinmos and the mushkin for 512mb (and I more than likely will be getting 2). I would love to throw that money at something else if I could get the twinmos at some nice timings.

Maybe you should give Kingston Hyper X PC3500 a look. There're plenty of members on these boards who have hit great FSB speeds with these modules. I myself am a Corsair fan even though it's overpriced; I pay for the customer service backing the modules in case anything goes wrong. As for the Twinmos vs. the Mushkin, the Mushkin seems to have the better record for consistency whereas the Twinmos seems more like hit or miss.

~THT

Thanks for the response THT. I will look into the kingston. Will I be able to run some decent timings with it you think? I currently have corsair xms 3200. I do like corsair but if I am going to lay out the cash for the top notch stuff I think the mushkin looks like the way to go.

Yep, you should be able to run tight timings like 2-2-11 but it's luck of the draw. But in the face of higher FSB, I'd loosen 'em up as the extra bandwidth may compensate for the looser timings.

~THT

Back