• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Northbridge Waterblock, How to mount on 875/867???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blbrchnk

Registered
I know that it has been a really big problem lately, but has anyone successfully done it? I really don't want to epoxy it given the tiny die size and the pics I saw in here the other day about the die being ripped in half. I read somewhere that someone bent screws and used those with the springs but does anyone have any more solid ideas? or maybe just some pics? thanks. specs in sig

ive got a ocpc block and im trying to mount it on a KX 400 (albatron) board there are A) no f**king mouting holes..and B) bloody capsitors in the way ...

im gonna epoxy mine on.. probably ... if i cant' find anyother way.. (cutting the moutnings off and just sticking it on with AS3 epoxy)

Didn't know you'd seen it, since you were requesting pics :p

Regarding the unsoldering thing, it's about the best I can recommend, if using thermal epoxy isn't your bag. The stock mounts will pull through the motherboard if they are subject to any strain, like they'll likely be under with the weight of a waterblock and tubing.

Unsoldering, pushing the mounts a bit further through the board, then resoldering is about the only other option I could come up with (though doubtless someone will come up with something better). Once the mounts are secure, engineering a retention mechanism is pretty much up to the individual.

Either zip-tying the block straight to the mounts or mounting a plate to the mounts that the regular mounting kit could be bolted to should both be viable options.

all i have are clip holes.. and they arn't even in the right place.. due to huge capsitors there not in the top left and bottom right there

in the top left and down 1cm from the top left hand corner and mirrored for the bottom right cornoer

Enyo said:
hey what about my problem.. :-| ..

Are you referencing holes around the chipset, or cpu socket? If around the chipset, there are two holes that plastic retainers are mounted through, just remove the old chipset and install the wb using the two holes (though you may need to fashion an adapter from some sheet metal with holes drilled to accomodate your wb mounts).

If referencing the cpu area, a mounting kit from DangerDen that converts the four-hole mount to a three-lug socket retainer type mount might be a solution, though I'm not positive if this wuold be possible with your current waterblock.

Hope this helps :)

i havent heard of mounting holes on new nb's just use some epoxy bend the spring type thing off the old nb i have an ic7-g and i just bent my ring and now my nb wb works ;)

Blbrchnk said:
yeah the 875/865 chipsets all have the same mounting system I believe, with the clips.

One reason why i bought a Gigabyte 8KNXP, the only board with
the ordinary holes.
photo_8knxp_big.jpg

hmm... would i be able to epoxy those stock clips more firmly to the motherboard so i could have my friend cut me a northbridge waterblock and i could still use those clips with the retention mechanism? or do u think the clips wont hold still?

max

Back