• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for a bigger/faster fan for an MCX462

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nahmus

HI all,
I have an MCX462 cooling an AMD2200+ that has been volt modded to 1.85 and running 2ghz. Its idle temps are 58c and full load is 64. I have another 2200 amd with a lower overclock that runs much cooler with the same HSF.

I was thinking about looking for a faster or bigger fan to mount to the swiftek to help in the cooling. I'd hate to back off the overclock (its been stable for 5mos) There is plenty of air flow in the case (2 front 2 back and a side fan). Does anyone know of a good fan to use as a replacement?

thanks

Vantec Tornado if you don't mind noise. Get one and mod it to 7Volts, it will still push a good bit of air with less noise. Also try reseating your heatsink.

I use a 120mm fan that pumps 108cfm and an 80 to 120 adapter. Its 38mm thick, not 25mm.

I lose efficiency because of the adapter, so its about as good as a 50-60 cfm 80mm, but its hard to hear the fan. The rig is not a champion overclocker anyway since its an Epox 8kha+ board. It works well and I love it for its relative silence.

NiTrO bOiE said:
Vantec Tornado if you don't mind noise. Get one and mod it to 7Volts, it will still push a good bit of air with less noise. Also try reseating your heatsink.

I've reseated it twice. I'm pretty sure that the extra voltage is causing the heat but it was the only way to get it stable. I'm gonna lap the heatsink this weekned and try a nre layer of AS3 to see if i can get the temp down a bit. I can always return it to stock. there not that big a difference beteween an xp22 and 2400 anyway. Its basically a storage/folding rig.

i would do what Arkaine23 sugessted(sp), or if you don't want to do that just get like a ttsf2 or something.

Back