• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just OC'd for the first time!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BeanTownBrawler

Just OC'd for the first time!!!! (People with Bartons come)

Hey guys check out my system in the sig.

Anyway, I just OC'd my 2500 to 200x10. Now its running at 2000 mhz but it doesnt tell me an XP number in my system settings in windows. Dammit, I wanted it to say 2800 or 3000. I have a vantec aeroflow cooling, hopefully its ok. I dont really know what I'm doing, so any recommendations would be great. So far so good.

Last edited:
BTW, how do I find temps. MBM tells me 30 c and 41 c, but thats 2 temps wtf? I heard its not accurate also. And, how do I find temps at load?

Also, I have 1.6 volts goin through the cpu, should I increase it?

I changed it from 1.6(5) volts to 1.7. Also, I changed the cpu to 189x11, trying to get it to read as a 2800. How can I get it to say that? It just says 2.09 ghz.

First off, MBM states temps given to it by the BIOS in the system, so accuracy depends on the thermal sensor built into the CPU die itself. Second, the two temps dictate the CPU temp and the system temp (in your case, i would think the system temp shows first, and the CPU temp shows second on MBM). Third, im not exactly sure how Windows grabs BIOS info, but that is where it gets the CPU model number/type, the total ram, operating system, etc. in order to get windows to show the CPU type, you may need to re-install XP. Now, since i've seen your CPU temp, it seems kinda high, considering your only doing a modest overclock with 1.60 volts Vcore, and you will only hurt the CPU if you increase the volts. My system currently runs at 200FSB x 10.5 = 2100 and posts as an Athlon XP 2600+ with 1.725 core volts, and i still haven't seen temps higher than 43ºC. (BTW, its a T-Bred 1700+ which is supposed to run @ 1466Mhz. 133FSB x11.0 = 1466) also, Welcome to the world of Overclocking!

A) that's not a high temp for a barton OCed like that
B) you shouldn't have to reinstall windows. The default multiplier for a 2800+ is 12.5x166. Use that, and it'll read as a 2800, though what it reads doesn't really matter.

Don't up the voltage if you don't have to. Download Prime95 (run a search on Google) and run it for around 6 hours to see if you're stable. If not, and it errs out, THEN up the voltage. Also, while running prime95, your temps shouldn't exceed 50C.

Is your system stable? Use prime 95 (you can get it here http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm) to test your overclocked cpu. Some things just seem too good to be true. Happened to me before and it happens to everyone. Mobo temps aren't always accurate, so its best to get additional readings. A temp sensor will do the job, albeit it's not going to give the most accurate to begin with. Multipanel displays are the way to go if you want to get different temp readouts. For instance, my mobo tells me my temps are at 15C (haha, I WISH!), when in fact they hover at around 35C idle 45C load (thats what my multipanel temp display tells me). Look into them, many people use them.

Went down to 29 c and 40 c on MBM after putting voltage back down to 1.65. Now I'm gonna run that prime program all night and see what happens.

Should I change agp frequency? I noticed its at 66, is that good?

First off, let me state why i think that 41º is a little high.....He's not stressing the cpu at all (i guess) and if my idle temps were anywhere around that, id start to worry (but i guess it just happens to be the T-Bred owners that worry). Sorry guys, im just touchy. i know alot of you have been clocking since the P54 stuff, i have. i just don't want to get someone mad at me for saying 55ºC is fine.

I'll do anything to keep it cool man. I really dont want to ruin anything. Anyway, how do I set up this prime program? Can you guys tell me what settings to do etc? And yes, it is 40 c with absolutely nothing happening on my comp. I have it set to shut off at 60 c just in case.

OK, possibly the best burn-in utility is sisoft sandra. do a search on google to get the downloaded version (i use the pcextreme.net version, and it works well). get it, install it, set up the burn-in on cpu only and set the amount of times to run to 25 or so, in case temps go really high in the first few runs. if this comes out good, then run prime95 all night and see what happens. temps should get around 50ºC when it's running. any higher and you risk damage (although i've seen temps in the 60's with no damage at all)

Run the Stress Test on Prime95. Also, use your nice setup you have to help us fold proteins to cure diseases. Come over to the folding forum and find out about it. The folding program will stress your computer to the max and most of us on the team run it 24/7.

41°C is not even remotely a dangerous temperature. As long as its stable, its safe. Nothing will happen to your processor running at such a low temperature. Although people don't often realize it, its very difficult to go below 40°C in overclocking regardless of what inaccurate motherboard sensors may read. Don't even give temp readings any notice. Do not get paranoid about temps unless you are encountering instability. If my motherboard was reading 110°C and my system was stable, I wouldn't care. You do not risk any damage running as low as 60°C. I don't know where this myth has come from. AMD says that the max safe operating temperature is a blistering 90°C. This means that in AMD's opinion, its perfectly safe to run at anything below this.

The default AGP frequency is 66mhz, and there isn't any real reason to change this.

The motherboard attempts to calculate a PR rating by use of multipliers and front side bus. Very often, it is unable to do so, because an overclocked setting does not correspond to any stock processor in existence. Your processor is somwhere in the ballpark of a 2900+. Higher front side bus is always better, so take 10.5*200 over 189*11. Do not worry about what PR rating your system is giving. In initial testing, sometimes it is convenient to raise the voltage to high levels to see how far one can go, and then gradually reduce them as far as possible. Another method is to increase one's overclock, and then concurrently raise the core voltage as necessary. It looks like you still have some homework to do. I strongly suggest reading this. Good luck!

Aright well, I'd still like some more opinions on whats a good temp. Everyone seems to think differently. I put my system down to 1.93 ghz and 1.65 volts, and now its 27 c system, but still the same cpu. Kinda weird how the temp isnt goin down.

I put it back down to defualt 2500 settings and it says 29 c and 50 c. This can't be right. I have 4 panaflos 80 mm case fans (the 24 cfm ones with 1900 rpm). Also I have a cantec aeroflow heatsink on the cpu. Is MBM just off?

Edit: I put it back to 200x10 and now I'm running sandra. I did the combine benchmark wizard, and now its stuck on analyzing file system. Does this mean it crashed? The little screen with the moving line in the middle is still moving and I can still click stuff so it seems ok, its just takin forever.

Edit: It was takin so long and seemed like it crashed so i restarted and put my comp back to 2500 to see if it was the program or somethin. Well, I ran it again and this time I got a blue screen error. I restarted and went down stairs, came back up and theres another blue screen error. Should I just put my bios back to defaults and start over?

Last edited:
just successfully ran sandra for 10 cycles at high priority (are these the right settings?) with [email protected] volts. My ram settings were 6-3-3-2. temps same as always. is this burn in test a good indicator of how far I can push it?

im only doing the burn in test for the major things being clocked here, CPU arithmetic, cpu multi media, memory bandwith, and cache and memory benchmark.

couldnt get it stable @ 2200 mhz, with highest voltage 1.75

now ive been testing prime 95 for an hour at 2100 mhz with 1.7 voltage and it seems good. max temp so far is 47 c. you think ill be able to get that 3200+ stable?

Seems as if you hit a wall, dude. When you run sandra, just run the arithmetic benchmark only in burn-in. This assures you that the only thing it's doing is stressing the cpu (or "burning it in"). Again, i'm used to seeing temps in and around 40ºC when running the burn-in utility, but thats possibly because my heatsink intake is under pressure, and the exhaust is under as much vacuum as a 120mm fan can create. a multi of 200 x 10 can be a stable overclock with a lot of headroom to spare, so start there and work up until you hit a wall. then tone it down a bit.

Gautam is correct, dont stress so much over 1-2c, and you are in the 40's! My athlon 2700 reached 60*c many times and is fine and was and still is totally stable. I replaced the hsf with a volcano 9 and a smart fan, and don't go over 50*c

All this is off stock speeds.

Back