• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leave the damn thing run.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bruno

I don't know how many times I have to tell people this..." If you want to overclock ... leave the damn thing run."

Scenario...

You have an overclocked system that runs flawlessly. You shut it down for a couple days and go the the beer fest up the road. Come home and fire up your system and OMG all kinds of problems. Shoulda bought a MAC. The guy that built it for ya says, " I told ya to leave it runnin. GO by an f'n MAC."

I see it w/ my own chips. I pull one to test a new one and leave it lay on the bench for a week and it runs like crap when I put it back in. It has to be burned in all over again.

If you've never seen this happen then you don't know what the hell I'm talkin about.

I've run Prime95 to many f'n times to even comment on that statement.

Prime95 is a program which tries to find the highest prime number. While doing this it stresses your cpu and ram a great deal and is one of the best tests of a stable overclock.

It is a great tool for ocing imho.

Err... "leave the damn thing run", is that English??? Are you saying to leave the damn thing on, or keep the damn thing running all the time, or what? Never seen this happen before, heard of it though. Thought it was just a myth. Anyways, I rarely leave my computer off for more than overnight, my parents don't want me to leave it on all the time. I'm going to be away for a good five days next week though, should I leave the computer on? Anyone actually know whether this is a myth or actually true?

Bruno, it sounds like you can boot into Windows but you have an unstable system.

Prime95 Torture test for at least 12 hours without Prime95 displaying any errors. You'll probably find you'll need to step back quite a bit to achieve this.

If you get errors only after several hours, this is a result of slight instability because the system is running with little or no margin. It's stable enough to boot and to be moderately stressed, but as soon as the system is under enough load to go over that critical point, it will freeze. To be 100% stable, Prime95 should run 12-24 hours without any errors.

To test the stability of overclocked CPU:

Double click on PRIME95.EXE to start the program.
Options > Torture Test

seems like a myth to me, i turn my computer off, and leave it off for long periods of time, and it boots up and runs fine, everytime,
now, maybe i'm not pushing it that hard, but like i said, seems like a myth to me

Jezus F'n H. . . I BURN EM IN . I RUN PRIME. I TAKE EM OUT FOR A WEEK AND THEY GOTTA BE BURNED IN ALL OVER AGAIN. They will not top out stable after shutting them down like that.

Yea I speak f'n english. You have problems understanding it?

Just shutting down over nite, to appease mommy and daddy won't hurt. Try pullin your latest chip out for a week and running you old duron. Then you'll know what I mean. It's like starting over.

If you don't want to believe me then kiss me.:D

Mine's to its absolute edge. It's 2.1vcore will tell you that. I've never, ever had a problem like that with any of my chips. (all run to the point where death was imminent).

Burn in probably also has something to do with the contact between the pins on the ZIF socket and the CPU - if the CPU is thermally cycled then it will expand and contract so the pins will probably bed down a little more, thus reducing resistance and probably allowing greater strength of the signals :)

I've never had that problem, but i don't take out my cpu for any other reason than to replace for a new one, then the new one would stay in until the next.
i don't often leave it running 24/7 either.

Ok, I do know what he is talking about and have observed the same phenomenon myself.

It only seems to occur in some fairly strict circumstances:
cpu, ram and mobo all pushed right to the edge of stability-
I am talking about taking two or three weeks to burn-in the system and slowly ramp it up to MAX speed.
Absolute MAX- 1 more mhz of FSB will often cause a BSOD and an unrecoverable os, yet at that setting it will run Prime95 for 48 hours without a glitch. :D

I have run quite a few systems that way for very long periods with no trouble- unless I shut them down for 24 hours or more ;)

Then it would be a long process of slowly getting everything ramped up to full speed again.

I do believe that it takes at least two if not all three components(cpu. mobo and ram) to be right on the edge for this behavior to occur- I have run chips with higher overclocks using big multi/low fsb and never seen it yet the same chip would exhibit this with a lower multi and high FSB.

My best advice?
Unless someone is themselves a serious overclocking enthusiast they should probably NOT have a system running that maxed out.
It's just asking for trouble.

Last edited:
It's a phenonmenon I've seen time and time again. I'm always pulling chips and burning/testing new ones. If you choose to disbelieve my findings, it's no skin off my ***. But, for those that disbelieve because they think they know-it-all... that is where the kissing spot is. :D

Back