• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Hydro Copper final culprit?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nebulous

Dreadnought Class Senior
After all the game issues I've been having (I'm sure you can search for my threads, don't wanna crap a new thread with it), and of course being true to what troubleshooting is: swapping every part, nut and bolt and the old process of elimination game, I never thought a brand new ( at the time) graphics card would have specific issues like I'm having. My beloved 12G-P5-4879-KL has to go back :cry:

Of course I have to give a shout-out to my brother-in-arms Earthdog for his valued assistance! Thanks brother! Owe ya a cold one!

I've swapped every part including a fresh OS reinstall on brand new NVME drives. So I went down the rabbit hole and, hopefully, found, which is the last part in my system, may be the culprit.

I was told by an old gypsy woman it could be gremlins! :oops:

So I've rebuilt my rig from the ground up. As much as I want to jump unto AM5, I'm gonna push my current rig another year. I hope AM4 has one last hurrah with a new refresh chip, but we can crap in one hand and wish in another and see which hand gets filled first, right?

Oh, ok so getting back to the video card; Yeah, bumbed about it, but I'm happy I'm still under EVGA's RMA umbrella. After that whole fiasco, right? Unsure if I'll use the replacement they send back as I'm already eyeing the 7900XTX for long term. I figure why keep all of you great folks in suspense? I'll test the replacement in all it's color for your viewing and ribbed pleasure! :cool:

As usual, I'll keeps y'all posted........ nah doesn't sound right.......you know what I mean

Hopefully the card is it... because gremlins are tough.

Curious about what attracts you to this gen AMD GPU... it's not power consumption and RT performance... :p
Actually I've been doing alot of research for my next gpu upgrade. Bad enough Evga and Nvidia cut ties from eachother and Nvidia's shenanigans, I'm pretty much tired of it. I wanted something different and the 7900XTX has checked all boxes. Tho both brands (AMD & Nvidia) have pros and cons, I just want a graphics card that will give me the performance and image quality I want without the shenanigans.

It's been decades that Intel & Nvidia play that tiny trickle performance increase for huge monetary gains which I'm fed up with. Gaming @ 1440 with all the eye candy maxed out, Riva tuner shows the games are sucking down close to all 12gb of vram. I have to dial down the eye candy so it doesn't suck it all down. A card with 24gb of vram will benefit me and I won't run out :) Maybe a 20gb card will fit the bill financially wise, but if I can grab the 24gb variant for a steal, I might go that route

Stereo55 just swapped over from his 3080 to a Sapphire 7900XTX and he's got a triple monitor setup. He's in heaven with his gaming now.

Surgery went smooth as silk.

The patient: 3080 12G FTW3 Hydro Copper
My assistant (Lugnut) observing the gory bleed-out process.
Artery #3 (Cpu-to-vga) bypass (Vga-to-rad#2)
Loaner/Donor: 3080 12G XC3
The Assistant: Lugnut (female)

I played a recording of an antient Suahili Priest chanting some ritual to ward off the gremlins away. After some air bubble dances, I fired the rig up.

Everything is working as it should. Will run games and report back.

Attachments

• Patient_1.jpg
    Patient_1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Patient_2.jpg
    Patient_2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Patient_3.jpg
    Patient_3.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Patient_4.jpg
    Patient_4.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Lugnut.jpg
    Lugnut.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 13
And with a thunderous roar the skies blackened and a sound came to and said: "GREMLINS BE GONE!" and evrything turned black with silence.......

I started steam... and my new games journey began.........with no..*sniff sniff*, I get choked up and teary eyed.....no..c..c....crashhhh..... I don't want to say it too loud.

But yes, the gremlins seem to be gone now. Really exciting to play my games with no crash or anything. I'm stoked!

Evga has a long weekend so I won't hear from them till the 5th. Till then I'll ride the happy train and game :burn:

I like how your cat provides moral support for your surgical operations. You would figure the cat would at least wear a hair net and mask while you're doing your surgical operations.

I'm glad the patient lived!

@Nebulous
Considering cats are hydrophobic wouldn't lugnut prefer an air-cooled rig?

I used to have a neighborhood cat who would visit me while I was working on my car. There's nothing so exciting as being under your car w/a torque wrench and feeling something furry go past your legs while remaining completely silent. Of course he then meowed right behind my head and I nearly gave myself a concussion and a heart attack at the same time :p

Same card, nothing replaced. One of the techs took it home, wrapped it in foil and baked it in the oven to reflow the solder.

Oh gosh, I peed myself LoLing.

Seriously, I think you're getting a refurb. We are years into that card being out and very removed from when the last new one was made.

Same card, nothing replaced. One of the techs took it home, wrapped it in foil and baked it in the oven to reflow the solder.

Oh gosh, I peed myself LoLing.

Seriously, I think you're getting a refurb. We are years into that card being out and very removed from when the last new one was made.
I'll have an extra box of delicious donuts just for you Eugene ;)

Alrighty then. Transplant took 2 1/2 hours. At first bootup I got the "Video memory error" :shrug: , but then a reboot solved that. I didn't get that hiccup when I installed the loaner. Did a DDU and installed the latest and greatest drivers. Rig is up and running. Idle temp on the card is 28c. 8c lower than my previous card. I found a pair of 90's fittings in my stash, so I decided to use them. Trying to keep any type of "stress" away from any joint. Besides, I think it looks nice. Don't mind the RGB thingy, it's doing that fruity pebbles default thing. I'll be shutting that down soon enough, barf!

Transplant was a success. We'll see how the recipient reacts with the new one. Will run tests and games to see. Me is keeping my fingers crossed...again. nu2.jpg

Back