• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is sd and sdr? Ram speed?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alchemist2001

helo,

I got problem here. I am confuse about the SD ram and SDR ram.
Errr..what actually is the difference between them?

I got a new p4 mobo and it can run either pc2100 or pc2700. I know the pc2100 @266 and pc2700@333???

So i want to know what is the actual bandwidth speed that run on the mobo. Like ?/ghz per sec or something?

And i read the forum and ppl talking about overclocking ram. How to overclock a ram? With software or hardware or in the bios???

I am so lost here. :(

I know i am asking a stupid question(above) coz alot of ppl know about it except me....

Thanks

SDR is a form of SDRAM, but what your talking about is DDR SDRAM, the difference between the two is that SDR sends information on rising side of the clock, the DDR sends on both the rising and falling sides, so therefore effectivley doubles the amount of information sent.

the bandwidth is as you stated...with DDR the PC2100, PC2700, PC3200 speeds are the bandwidth. Then the DDR266, DDR333, DDR400 is the effective data rate, divide that number by two, so it would become, 133, 166 and 200 and this is the actual MHz the memory is running at.

Overclocking memory is done through the BIOS, although you would want to check out yours to see whether or not it offers such features - if not, and you really want do overclock, then I would consider getting a new motherboard.

Dan :santa2:

Last edited:
Err..so like the sdr can only do 1 way transmission whereas the ddr can do 2-way or both way transmission. Is that right?

So just divde the ddr266 by 2 then it give me the actual mhz speed of the ram is running. Why the 226 is not the actual speed instead by divided by 2 then it show the actual result?

Hmmm...like when i transfer file from one partition to another partition then i want to know how fast can the ram run on the dimm slot. As stated in my last msg, i want to know the transmission speed/sec. Is there such a thing as the speed of transmission???

Thanks for the reply :)

think less 1 way, and 2 way, its all going the same way - the clock is a pulse with a rising and a falling edge, the SDR will send information on the rising and DDR will send on both the rising and the falling.

and 266 wouldnt be the speed as it isnt operating at that speed - its just that due to the double data rate it might as well be

on the transmission, well you can take the clock speed into account, and then the memory timings which will also effect the speed the memory operates at, thats more to do with how the memory accesses information

Dan :santa2:

Alright to keep things simple...
SDRAM = Synchroneous DRAM
It's the type of RAM we've been using for almost 10 years??

now there are two subtypes of SDRAM:
SDR: Single Data Rate
DDR: Double Data Rate

What ninthebin said is accurate but I guess a bit technical. In a nutshell DDR can send two packets of info in the same time that SDR can send only one (hence the Single Data Rate vs Double Data Rate). So PC133 SDR and PC2100 DDR both run at 133mhz but the DDR will be sending out twice as much data. Now as for the transfer rates.... well guess what PC2100 means? You guessed it, it's the transfer rate. So PC2100 will transfer 2.1gb/s

I'm not quite sure why you'd want to know the transfer rate of RAM if yoù're talking about moving stuff from one partition to another though...

Yoù're building a new computer right? Maybe you could tell us what parts you bought already? That would help us help you a lot!

Back