• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgrade to athlon 2400??? Opinions please.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

UPCguy21

Hi, I'm thinking later on this year about upgrading my computer. I basically have a lot of things in the computer the way I want them, the main thing I need to deal with is a faster processor. Currently, I've got a duron 1.1 ghz. The duron is not a bad little chip, but I am wanting a little bit more speed. So, I found where I can get an athlon 2400 for 80 bucks, of course I would need to get the heatsink. The chip as you guys know runs at 266 mhz fsb. The reason I'm interested in this chip is because looking at the book for the mobo I'm running right now, it will support up to 266 fsb. Which is not bad for like a 2 year old board. I know, I'm being a little cheap. But is it worth the extra $$ to buy a better chip, amd or intel, and a new board? What do you guys all think???

Btw, I'm not really interested in overclocking, not a lot of experience with overclocking, and don't have extra $$ to burn on new parts.

Does your mobo support Thoroughbred CPUs?
1700+ guaranteed T-Bred B is $49 and OCs 2600+ to 3200+ no problem.

Still not interesting in overclocking?
http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=207088

For OCing, you'll need this:
http://www.svcompucycle.com/thersk7socco.html

No need for anything other than retail heatsink if you're not going to OC.

nForce2 mobos can be had for $75 or so if your mobo can't take Thoroughbreds...

Instead of $80 on the CPU, you may be better off with $49+$75.

Still if you're convinced OCing is not for you,
check your mobo's web site if it takes Bartons.

newegg.com 2500+ retail Barton is the best way to go if you're not Ocing.

go for a 1700 tbred and OVERCLOCK IT!!! ;) lol

(or try and find one of these new 1800s that overclock to 2.7ghz)

(or if your not going to o/c get a 2500 barton)

If he was getting nForce2, 1700+ or 2100+ or 2500+ would be his choices, not the 2400+.

Well, like I said, the reason I'm looking at the 2400 was because I found one that the fastest chip running at 266 mhz fsb seemed to be the 2400, and is a socket A processor, since my board takes socket A, and the highest fsb that my board accepts is 266, then I figured well, how much extra speed would I get on that setup, just swapping the 2400 out for my duron, and spend 80 bucks, vs spending 150-170 and getting a new board as well. Unless maybe there is a bios update for this board.....:). Didn't think of that before. I'll check that out, let me see, it says the board is a pc ddr 266 systemboard, I can't find an actual brand in the book for the board, but it is an SiS 735 chipset. It says also on the front it's an M830 series, this board is older I know, but anyone know how I could find out what kind of board this is to possibly get a bios update? If I could do that and it would support 333 fsb after an update, then maybe I could step up to a higher end chip:)

Oh, btw, the reason I said I need a new heatsink was b/c i don't want to toast my chip, I'm running a 1.1 duron, with an older heatsink on it, and don't think it can support the 2400, and as far as I know the chip would not come with one, but what's an extra 20 bucks when I can get the 2400 for 80 bucks??

Back