• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AS3... higher temps????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

N.E.R.D_BOI

Well i finally got some Artic Silver 3 compound... i applied it.. and following the instructions and now my temps have increased by 4c... it says that it needs 200hours for it to sit-in properly.. but 4c increase is a bit much! I was getting better temps with the white thermal paste i got with my SLK...

Anyone got any ideas?

The difference can be due to many things. If you've controlled for ambient temperature fluctuations it can still be due to heatsink mounting differences. It could also be that you've not cleaned the sink & cpu well enough when removing the old stuff.
If I were you I'd wait for the AS3 to settle, and then maybe consider taking steps to address the problem.

Hmmm 8 days is a bit of a long wait...
The thing is it increased by 4c and thats with my Smartfan 2 running at 4800rpm(75cfm)...
Before I use to run my fan at 3200RPM and i was still getting lower idle temps. Load temps previously reach 54c, now they're reaching 58-60c
hmmm i shouldve gotten the Artic silver ceramique instead.. i've been reading up on it and only found out now that its better than AS3 and does not need a perfect application. Shouldve done my research.. nutz

Remount your block... keep doing it until your temperatures even out. There is no reason why there should be a 4° difference between those two compounds. Normal tips apply; thin and even layer, mount the heatsink straight down, not angled... The *only* reason you would see that big of difference is because of a bad mount. Do it again

Ok thanks.. i'll try for the third time LOL...
it just really weird there's this much temp difference esp with my fan turn all the way up now whereas b4 it was like only running at 3200RPM with lower temps!

OMG i just reapplied seriously what must have been the most even layer... i 'carefully' placed the HS back.. and my idle temp dropped 1c.. WTF??? my old thermal paste was idling at 39c, now im at 41c... somethings wrong.. What a waste if it's going to take 200hours for it to settle and only perform just as good as my old thermal paste. I better stick to the philosphy of if something works then dont touch it cos im wasting my $$

Edit: OMG im still at 59.5c underload and thats only in 5 mins :eek: This thing will definitely reach over 60c in an hour! Im so tempted to switch back to my old thermal paste... This AS3 and thermal duct i bought seems to be the biggest piece of crap i've paid for!

Last edited:
Are you sure you applied a very thin layer? You don't need much at all. And of course, make sure the heatsink is cleaned very well with isopropyl alcohol or acetone; otherwise the old TIM is still sealing up the small valleys in the heatsink, which is what the AS3 is supposed to do. Honestly moving from standard TIM to AS3 I would lap that sucker. Also once it's thoroughly cleaned, make sure you do rub some into the heatsink, and wipe off all the excess. It should drop a few more degrees too, which will hopefully bring you lower than previous temps.

While this doesn't address the bad performance of AS3, a 20c jump is insane from idle to load. It should be more like 5-8c tops. Are your room temps higher than normal? Do you have adequate case cooling? Did it always rise this much during load?

I had the same problem and I've taken alot of steps to fix it but what seemed to show the problem best was take off your case side panel and see if your temps drop at all then its ur case temps... Otherwise lapping helped some if you search for that someone made a very good tutorial. Other than that I'd blame your AS3 goto the artic silver website and follow the instructions to the word, for a lint free cloth apparently a coffee filter works well.

AMD_Me: Yes.. i took it off cos i noticed 2c rise in temp.. So im not using it anymore.

Tekime: I use acetone to clean out everything! My HS has already been lapped so i don't really see the need to lap it further unless its to clean of the previous thermal paste off. Im sure it's been thoroughly cleaned though!
And no, previously it would jump from 39c idle to 54c load.. now its like 42c idle 60c load! It's shocking! Even my AMD at 1.85v ran cooler :eek: (and i thought Intels were suppose to run cooler :rolleyes: )

Steve978: My case has always been open. I never close it, Yet my temps are still high! And yes i've check out that site for instructions!

All i can say is, if it this much trouble just to get AS3 working properly I don't think its worth it. Imagine the lengths you have to go through just to apply every time you take off your HS to clean it! Then they say it takes 200hours to seat-in properly :rolleyes: This thing has been a hassle. And i also checked, i do have the authentic stuff, non of that fake AS3.

I'll give this peice of crap a few more days to 'sit-in'.. then im switching back.

Back