• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vcore measurements on an IC-7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Since87

My MBM reported Vcore bounces around a lot, so I decided to check it out with my Fluke voltmeter.

With 1.675V selected in the bios, MBM was usually reading 1.66V, but would occasionally drop to 1.65V or pop up to 1.68V. (This is with my P2.4C @ 3.316 GHz while running Prime 95)

With my voltmeter connected to the capacitor side of one of the switching inductors and one of the mobo mounting screws, I measured 1.693V, and it was rock steady. With no load on the CPU, the Voltmeter reading was 1.702V.

Does anyone know if there is a more correct point to take this reading? I suppose measuring the voltage at two of the CPU socket pins would be ideal, but that's hardly convenient.

Last edited:
It seams like your reading would be the better. The monitoring chip is likely conected to the Vcore line by a tiny pcb trace with posibly saveral solder joints. Onboard readings always seamed abit FUZZY to me.

My IC7- G has voltage problem.

If I select default vcore for my CPU in the bios which should be 1.525V it actually gives 1.48v and makes the PC unstable.

So I have to give it 1.57 to actually get 1.55v

Note that my power supply is a 450W Ethermax so I don't think that is the problem. It also was happenning with my older 400W Antec PS.

Oh yeah and the same goes for the RAM and AGP I have to up the voltage to get the proper voltage.

Also has the temperature reading problem been fixed yet?

I should be getting like 16C idle and it reads about 35C for idle.

saulin said:
My IC7- G has voltage problem.

If I select default vcore for my CPU in the bios which should be 1.525V it actually gives 1.48v and makes the PC unstable.

So I have to give it 1.57 to actually get 1.55v

How are you determining what the real Vcore is? You can't trust the sensors built into the motherboard. As I mentioned above, the actual voltage is higher than the set voltage and the motherboard measured voltage.

Edit: I should have said, "on my motherboard the actual voltage is higher than the set voltage...".

Last edited:
Well I guess the fact that it isn't stable at default voltage even when it isn't overclocked.

My computer would reboot ramdomly.

Plus why would abit do that?

Asus, Gigabyte and Epox give the voltage it is set on the bios.

Actually my Epox AMD board if I set it to 1.75v it gives almost 1.8v but not less than what it is set to.

Well see my sig and you'll see what I have for cooling.

Plus I did get 15C idle on my P4C800 Deluxe and 30C on full load. That is at 3720Mhz

jszent said:
Thats not a problem it does undervolt which is good,unlike Asus motherboards which overvolt............. My 2 Abit boards do the same thing............I'll take that kind of problem all day...........

Unless you use a voltmeter to measure the Vcore voltage, YOU DON'T KNOW whether your motherboard overvolts or undervolts. The sensors built into the motherboard are not accurate.

As I have said twice in this thread so far - my IC-7 overvolts.

Back