• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No RPM reading on 3-wire Panaflo case fans ...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FlypSyde

I just recently got around to soldering on the tails of some Panaflo case fans I picked up in the forums a while back. I used a multimeter to measure resistance across each wire and they were all good (all less than 0 ohms). When I plugged the fans into my motherboard and fired it up, they all started spinning, but in BIOS I'm showing 0 RPM for the case fans. I tested the motherboard fan headers with my cpu fan and they work fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks! :D
- FlypSyde

The fans I got all have 3-pin conectors (black, red, yellow) and markings on the fan itself showing black as (-), red as (+), and yellow as (S). I just assumed that the third wire is the RPM sensor and that it is functional, but I could be wrong. I'll check the part numbers on the fan when I get home.

Are the Panaflo fans known to not have an RPM sensor? Or do they just not work with the voltages from the motherboard? I just thought that all 3-wire case fans had a RPM sensor.

yes panaflows are known to not have a sensor, but you obviously have one that does. (there are ones with the sensor, just not as common) I don't see why your motherboard wouldnt pick it up. Did you try a different mobo header? (i know you said this one worked, but try anotherone anyway.)

Okay, one of the fans I have is part # FBA08A12H. After a quick search online I found out that this model has RPM monitoring optional. :( A couple reviews I found on this model fan also mentioned the lack of RPM monitoring. Oh well! Thanks for everyone's help! :D

-FlypSyde

Back