• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ga8knxp won't post

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fencer04

I just installed a ga8knxp with a ATI AIW 128 pro and generic dual channel pc3200 RAM and it won't post or goto the bios screen. What is the issue, is it the RAM or the Vid Card. I tested the video card and it works in the other system but I don't have another system to test the RAM in. I tried one stick of RAM as well as using a generic PCI vid card to see if I could get it to post and neither of these things worked. Anyway, I need help ASAP, thanks in advance guys.

Does it beep at all? Does the red light under the agp slot come on? ( the PCI video kind of rules that out though ) Try it with no drives, just video, cpu and memory. Does the power supply come on at all? If not, unplug the PSU from the board. Try connecting the green wire to a black one next to it on the PSU P1 power supply connector. ( makes a jumper to turn on the PSU with out the board being connected ) Pin 14 to 17 works. ( see link ) Hope this helps some. Good luck.

http://www.overclockers.com/tips826/

The power supply comes on and the 2x AGP led doesn't come on. No, there is no beep at all. There is a flicker on the screen every now and then, but nothing else. I only kept the main HD connected without any other drives. I saw the green HD light come on under the hard drive when I turned it on but nothing else happened. I have encountered many other problems before but never anything like this.

If the hard drive light comes on, it sounds like it is going through POST. Have you tried a different monitor? Or another PC on that monitor. ( just to make sure it still works ) If you hook up a floppy, does it light up too? ( another good sign that its going through post ) I doubt this will do much, but have you tried clearing CMOS? I dont think it would be a memory problem since it sees the HDD. Does the ram led come on?

If the floppy and HDD light up, Im going to lean toward a video problem. It sounds like it is going through the Power On Self Test and it sees the drives like nothing is wrong. If the board was truely dead, it shouldnt be able to POST the drives.

Sorry I cant really help much more. Im about out of ideas. This is a pretty strange problem. Does anyone else have some ideas? Good luck.

Thanks a lot for the help, I emailed Gigabyte tech support and got a response within a day. It told me to try clearing the CMOS as well so I think that is what I will try. The RAM led is on, does this mean that the RAM is OK and compatible? I have heard of people have trouble with generic RAM in some cases but had no trouble after putting in Kingston or Micron RAM. I did put another comp on the monitor and it works. I then put the video card I am using on the ga8knxp in that comp and it worked as well so I am sure that the card and the monitor are OK. I guess it is also possible that the board is shorting on the case so if the CMOS clear doens't work then I will try setting up the board outside of the case and see what happens. If that doesn't work then I guess that it is the CPU :mad: Oh well, I will keep you posted!

WOW, one day. I have to take back all the bad things I have said about em. I guess he just doesnt like me.

Anyway, the light for the memory means it ok. Seems like every thing works, so the next thing to try is to clear CMOS. ( remove CMOS battery for 30 secs ) Unless you can get some other memory to try in it ( but I doubt thats it ). Another P4 would be a nice thing to test too. If that doesnt do it, Im guessing the board died. Trying it out of the case is a good idea at this point, I think. If you tell them everything you have tried, Im sure youll have no problem getting an RA number. ( kind of sucks though )

I am assuming you bought it online. If not take it back to the store and see if they can test it, or change it out. Let me know how things go. Good luck. K1ll1nT1m3

Back