• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video Card cooling/Overclocking question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

billstuck

I'm trying to squeeze the most I can out of this MX440 card. I OC'ed it and I can play 1024x768 in Battlefield now with good framerates, but after about 10 minutes everything goes crazy and the screen is glitchy etc in the game. It won't go away until I reboot, but only does it in the game.

I realize OC'ing is a gamble, but my card has a passive heat sink on it. Do you think putting a fan on it would help?

I assume heat is the problem, but things get bad after about 10 minutes of gaming.

It runs stable at 350/450 up from the stock 250/334 but only for a little while.

After the glitches start even putting the card back to stock speeds doesn't help. I need to reboot.

Sounds like you are pushing your card to the max. I agree with you that heat is most likly the culprit. You will need a better cooling solution to keep it stable. You have a very high OC on your card from stock. Nothing to be disappointed with.

I'm almost certain heat is an issue. Especially since the problem comes in BF, i had a geforce 4 a while back and even with the stock hsf and no oc after a few mins of BF the card would get too hot and it would start to lock up for seconds at a time.

Obviously there was an issue with the card and it's been replaced however the point is BF seems to push the card quiet a bit, throw on a fan, maybe even buy a new heatsink, and for sure back off the overclock a little.

If it doesnt do it at stock then you are the one who caused the problem, so you are the one who can fix it.

Yes it sounds to me like your cards gpu is overheating. So go ahed and put a nice big fan on there :D

also maybe invest in some ram sinks and a better gpu hsink aswell (i use a old cpu sink)

Sure sounds like a overheat to me. Just get yourself anything with a fan and it will do better. Or if you have one laying around try pointing an 80mm fan blowing directly on the side of card and the passive HS. Either way you need a better cooling setup for it.

I've had problems fanning GPUs before, the ones I put on my vid cards don't like being upside down for too long and in a few months the bearings give and I get a hideous rattle. I can't guarantee you'll have the same trouble but if you do you could put the fan on the sink upside down (so it pulls air away) or you could put some rubber feet on it and then just let it rest on the top (back) of the card. I touch my card on the back and I can feel the heat coming through. The extra advantage to this is you can reposition it as many times as you want or try different fans without having to take the card out and unscrew the fan to change it.

i also have heat problems with my card, i'm to the point where i'm going to just strap on a 80mm fan to keep it cool. and i'm not even OCing that much, 300x531 from 250x446.

Back