• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

defective CPU parT II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoKtEm

some of you may remember a couple of months back I inquired about my barton 2500+ that had a minor defect that made it so the NF7-S wouldn't run it properly due to the extra sensitivity of the motherboard. Soon the thread became sort of insulting and it died out, the question that was left unanswered was that if the cpu was actually going to deteriorate as time went on.. now most people with these minor defects just simply RMA the chip as soon as they realize they had one, but people on this board convinced me to keep mine so i did.

Now after running the cpu for a couple of months I've noticed the instability of the cpu keeps rising as time goes on, it has now gotten to a point where I can't evne run the cpu at stock speed but I must undervolt it and therefore underclock it... so I guess the question that people asked, if the minor defect effected the long term lifespan of the cpu, I guess the answer would be yes. Do you think AMD knows about this?

Minor defect?? Extra sensitivity?? People convinced you?

Man, unless you damaged the CPU yourself (did you?) the CPU is top notch or it isn't. If it isn't you send it back if it is within warranty period and you are certain it is not top notch.

You don't need no thread to tell you what to do. You're a paying consumer.

It's one thing if it isn't OCing as far as you'd like and quite another if it's not working properly.

the issue about the defect was that it didn't handle any more voltage than the stock voltage, even a little bit more and the motherboard wouldn't let you boot it up. The argument was that since the cpu runs at stock the defect didn't really matter

Point well taken, if its not broken/defective @Default voltages, then there is nothing wrong with your cpu. Your 2500 was most likely an early production of that CPU (Brown package?) and wasn't all successful on the OC crowd. So technically, it's not defective. OC wise, that's another story. Try selling your xp2500 to a coworker/family/friend who doesn't intend to OC, and get the newest steppings coming out right now.

OEM or retail?

I see what you're saying. If it's OEM, it used to run only at stock speeds and then you "weren't supposed" to return it because it ran at stock speeds.

Now it won't even run at stock speeds and if it's OEM the warranty ran out, leaving you with just the option of writing to AMD asking replacement mercy under special circuimstances.

It's an interesting post & point.

I guess we need to start looking at things like this like with cars: If you don't deal with something that's out of the ordinary straight away, it'll become worse.

Sympathies to NoKtEm who wasn't selfish enough to look after his own interests only and mail the chip back straight away.

thanks for the input, I just wanted to let you all know who had these kind of chips that they really do deteriorate after awhile, the chip itself doesnt' even run at stock voltage so selling it isn't an option unless they know how to maintain it

NoKtEm said:
I just wanted to let you all know who had these kind of chips that they really do deteriorate after awhile...

Let's also use this occasion to warn people that more and more members are now reporting max OC reduction over time if you use anything higher than 1.8x Volts Vcore on permanent bases.

c627627 said:

Let's also use this occasion to warn people that more and more members are now reporting max OC reduction over time if you use anything higher than 1.8x Volts Vcore on permanent bases.

it seems like they really don't make these chips like they used to, I remember back in the day when the king of OC was p3 700, chips didn't seem to wear down untill at least 5 years later

Back