• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

cutting the stock p4 HSF into ram sinks ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kikkler

Registered
Since i already have a better HSF for my cpu, I have been thinking about creative ways to use the stock HSF which i've received with the processor. looking at it and detaching the fan, I've thought about cutting the aluminium part into pieces and using them as video card / south bridge sinks. what do you think about it? will it work?

It'll definitely work, its been done a lot and people have had some good results by cutting up some older CPU coolers and using them, most notably, as Northbridge or southbridge coolers.

You may have to shave some of the top off, because those would be some tall ramsinks if you just left it that way!

All in all, go for it. Don't forget to be careful when applying your choice of epoxy, as Arctic Silver Epoxy has been known to short some pins if you don't apply it just right and it gets on traces or memory pins. I believe there is a non-conductive option that prevents this entirely, however I forget what it is - someone will know however.

Bump!

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS!

thank you for the kind words :D
i'm having a little problem getting a real thermal adhesive compound. is there any way to use plain epoxy? like themral grease in the middle and 4 epoxy drops in each corner?
for ther thermal grease i will be using the Nanotherm XTC, which is a little better than AS3, plus it's not conductive.
another question - I've seen all kinds of other small chips on my mobo - considering i'll have any leftovers from the heatsink, is there any point attaching sinks to those as well ?

Yes it will work. All you need is a dremel with a cutting wheel and maybe a grinding wheel to smooth up the edges. Measure the size you need twice and cute once.

Thank You,
Daniel

arabarabian said:
Yes it will work. All you need is a dremel with a cutting wheel and maybe a grinding wheel to smooth up the edges. Measure the size you need twice and cute once.

Thank You,
Daniel

no, don't do it with a dremel, do it with a bandsaw or other heavy machinery. what the heck is up with people advising others to use an inferior tool for the job?

Amorphus said:

no, don't do it with a dremel, do it with a bandsaw or other heavy machinery. what the heck is up with people advising others to use an inferior tool for the job?

Finaly someone who can attualy see the dremel is a pos! :D

but seriously eaven if you dont have acess to a bandsaw your better off cutting them with a normal hacksaw. Its alot Easyer, Quicker and Cheaper than a dremel.

Definitely do it with a hack saw, make sure its a metal one just in case there are some other types. The cuts will be straighter and neater and it also wont mess up the base

Ok sorry about telling him to use a dremel. I don't think that I was thinking it through because I have a 1/2 hp industrial handheld grinder with a cut off wheel that I use for cutting through metal not a small dremel.

Thank You,
Daniel

arabarabian said:
Ok sorry about telling him to use a dremel. I don't think that I was thinking it through because I have a 1/2 hp industrial handheld grinder with a cut off wheel that I use for cutting through metal not a small dremel.

Thank You,
Daniel

No need to apologize. Different strokes for different folks. Discussion forums are to talk about problems or ideas and weigh the pros and cons. I would use the dremel personally, because I could sit there and do it at my desk (I'm Lazy).

A good hacksaw with a blade in good condition will saw through aluminum quite nicely. Make sure the hacksaw has enough tension on the blade to keep it straight which minimizes binding and kinking. Also remember the blade only cuts in one direction, putting pressure on the return stroke just wears the blade faster. Enjoy your recycling project (gotta do something with stock heatsinks :D).

Back