• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do i need a new hsf?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stunna

Registered
i have a athlon xp 1700+ jiuhb dltc and am wondering if i can hit at least 2.2ghz with my original ocz gladiator and 3600rpm top motor fan, the c/w is about .58. i also have a shuttle an35n ultra and a stick of 256 pc3200 geil ram, anyhelp would be great

Hmm I doubt you'll get very far with that sink, the C/W means that for every extra watt of heat your temp will go up by that much of a degree centigrade. I would guess that your temperatures at the moment are in the 40s if not higher, and to get to 2.2Ghz, you're going to have to up the voltage a bit, taking the CPU from around 80W output to around 120W output. So if you're running at 45C now for instance, an extra 40W will put on another 23C, which is 68C, rather near the burn up zone, and it will probably crash at 60 and over if not before then tbreds are rather sensitive to heat, and not many run well over 50C. I would guesstimate that the most you'd get out of it with that heatsink would be around 1800 at 1.65 volts.

For a cheaper high performance heatsink upgrade, go with a Thermalright AX7 and 80Cfm fan, (probably around 30-40 dollars) for the best, go with a Thermalright SLK900b and 100cfm 90mm fan. (probably around 70 dollars or so)

With the AX7 you'd get 2.2Ghz if your chip is good and your room temperature is cool (around 20C). With the SLK 900 you'd get 2.2Ghz all year round with no worries and might be able to squeeze a bit more.

This is providing of course that your chip is a good one. There are as you know no guarantees when you overclock. The stepping code looks promising, but it's still a bit of a lottery

regards,

Road Warrior

if you can spend the moeny go get a better heatsink and another stick of ram ;x 256 is kinda low for today's standards =d

Back